• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Line not hanging up & Fax tone if calling same number twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertarecchia

Reaction score
HI. Hopefully someone can help.

I have 2 lines, Comcast and Magic Jack on a Grandstream 4101 and I have 2 strange problems.

Most everything works but:
1- When calling the Magic Jack line and it gets transferred to an extension, even after the caller hangs up or finishes leaving a message, the line stays connected for a long time. It won't release the port.

2- On the other line (comcast), if you place a call, hang up and call again without waiting waiting a minute or two, the caller gets a fax tone. I can still hear the default extension ring though.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Line not hanging up & Fax tone if calling same number tw

On the MagicJack line, you will probably have to adjust the settings, in the gateway, that detect PSTN disconnect. I'm not sure (haven't checked) if the MJ "box" does a loop disconnect when a caller "drops off" (I don't use mine for incoming calls).

There are various methods involved, including disconnect tone detect , Silence detect, etc. It may be a matter of trial and error until you come upon something that works.

In the case of the second line...do you have an alarm system attached to that line? If so, then that is what is answering

leejor said:
On the MagicJack line, you will probably have to adjust the settings, in the gateway, that detect PSTN disconnect. I'm not sure (haven't checked) if the MJ "box" does a loop disconnect when a caller "drops off" (I don't use mine for incoming calls).
There are various methods involved, including disconnect tone detect , Silence detect, etc. It may be a matter of trial and error until you come upon something that works.
Is this gateway setting under the FXO Line or Channels? The only place that mentions "Disconnect" is in the FXO lines ( see attachment)

leejor said:
In the case of the second line...do you have an alarm system attached to that line? If so, then that is what is answering

Great guess. Yes I have ADT on the second line. Why would I get a fax tone though if I don't wait long enough. Is there a setting I can tweak?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Disconnect.jpg
    Disconnect.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 688

bertarecchia said:
Is this gateway setting under the FXO Line or Channels? The only place that mentions "Disconnect" is in the FXO lines

Yes, is involves settings 1 through 5. You only have #1 enabled. That may or may not work depending on whether the MJ ATA does a current disconnect when the party at the far end hangs up. Because you have it enabled now, and it doesn't seem to be working for you, we'll assume, for the time being that you will have to make use of the other disconnect methods.

You will have to enable them (one by one) until you find something that works for you.

Settings 3 and 4 are usually used on outgoing calls, so you can probably skip those. If you use #2 then the tone "settings" have to match the tone sent from the MJ ATA after a call disconnect.

Remember, tone and silence detection can take a bit of time to happen. Silence disconnect can also drop a call if the volume level is too low, or, you get put on hold for a length of time. Be aware.

bertarecchia said:
Yes I have ADT on the second line. Why would I get a fax tone though if I don't wait long enough. Is there a setting I can tweak?

This is not a fax tone, it is a modem tone from your alarm system. This is the method that the alarm company dials into your system for maintenance, etc.

Call once, let ring a couple of times, hang up, call back within a given time, alarm system answers.

I'm not sure if they have any way of getting around/disabling this, or if they/you would want to , it is a pretty "normal' set-up. You'd have to talk to them is this is a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.