Line Selection with PSTN Gateway

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Brandon Tucker, Mar 7, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Tucker

We are setting up a new install and are wanting to have line selection when calling out as well as being able to place a call on hold on line 2 and pick up line 2 on another phone. Is this even possible with this system. We have a patton smartnode 4 FXO port with 4 pstn line coming into. Currently only a single trunk is set up and configured with 4 ports and 4 sim calls.

2. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

If the Patton is provisioned with a 3cx config file you can filter the incoming calls by setting up dids labelled (1 - 2 - 3 - 4 ... or is it 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 ?? ... definitely one of the two.) For outbound, that'll involve a little setup in your Patton.

For the "putting a call on hold on line 2" thing, welcome to the world of IP telephony. That's kind of gone now, although I know where you're coming from (old school Nortel guy here). You want to look into Shared Parking on 3cx. I like to label it "Hold 1, Hold 2, etc" for customers who are used to saying "pick up line 2" ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Brandon Tucker

Yeah I'm using the config file from 3cx and for inbound its not a problem. As far as the outbound what type of config would I need to do in the patton system to be able to select a specific line to use. Thanks for the info on the shared parking. I will looking into setting that up. Thanks for the help thus far. I appreciate it.

4. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Here's an example I just grabbed from a customer site. We're not interfacing with actual analog lines here so the setup looks weird, but it's the same idea as what you want to do.
    In the first highlighted example I'm routing 4 digit numbers that start with a 3 to FXO port 0, AND I'm adding a pound to the dialed digit (because the equipment plugged in to the FXO port requires it).

In the second highlighted example I'm routing 4 digit calls that start with a 9 to FXO port 1 and I'm not adding anything.

So you can make "dial codes" for your customer. Putting a 9 in front of a dialed phone number will use lines from company A, and putting an 8 lines from company B, etc etc ..

In your case you'll need to create a mapping function to remove the first digit of the dialed number after it hit the patton routing table (similar to my adding a pound, see that example below too)
    upload_2017-3-8_9-3-8.png

upload_2017-3-8_9-10-25.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are trying to simulate a key system and have multiple line keys on each set, in the outbound rules, you could have specific extension outbound calls route over a specific trunk no mater the prefix. Outbound rules allow you to restrict rules to certain extensions, so a prefix, to select the trunk in the gateway, can be added automatically.

JasonNadeau likes this.
  6. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

That's a great idea Leejor, so calls from extension 123 will always add the 9 to outgoing calls, 321 will always add 8, etc ..

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, you would create rules that only apply to (are used by) specific extensions. this means that there will be duplicate rules based on the dialled number, but adding different prefixes to specify the line on the gateway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.