Linksys PAP2 ans 3CX compatibility ?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cyclone76, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyclone76

Hello,
    Does Linksys PAP2 work with 3CX ?
    I don't see PAP2 model to use provisioning utility.
    I tried to program it manually but that doesn't work.
    Rgards ;
    Fredo.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That device has been discontinued for a while now, so , "officially" it is no longer supported, so you have to provision manually.

Then you didn't do it correctly, there is no physical reason it won't work, unless the device you have is broken.

Is this being used locally or remotely?

Have you looked at the 3CX Activity log for error messages?

The PAP2 is very similar to the settings for a SPA-2102 (minus the router).

Give it a static IP. Datafill the NTP server or caller ID time/date won't be correct.

Start with a device that has been "factory reset", no settings left-over from a previous installation.

Use this guide for most of the basic settings...

https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/linksys-SPA-921/

You can later put together a dial-plan to avoid a wait after dialling digits.

#2 leejor, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  3. cyclone76

Hello sir,
    PAP2 is used remotely (3CX server is on an external vps).
    I am used to install PAP2 with OVH voip lines and it works perfectly. Firmware version is LS 5.1.6.
    I did factory reset but it doesn't connect to 3CX so i have no logs.
    I follow the SPA-921 guide but uncessfully.
    I tried to to add STUN server as with with 3CX phone but no success.
    How do i have to configure the extension in 3cx ?
    Thanks for help.
    Regards

#3 cyclone76, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The SPA-921 guide covers the basics, but, if you are using as a remote extension then STUN will have to be enabled. There should be a registration attempt in the 3CX Activity log. Even if it fails, it at least shows that the PAP2 is "pointed" in the right direction. Even if most other settings are incorrect, you should see something in the log.

What are you putting in the Proxy Server field, a public IP or the domain of the server? You might try using the IP and if that works, be sure that the DNS server is correctly data filled. If you have put in an NTP server and set the correct time zone, then if the DNS server is correct, the PAP2 will show the correct time and you know it is able to communicate "outside".

Be sure that the remote IP has not been blacklisted in the PBX and the the extension is allowed to remotely register, you have to untick an option to allow that.

Are you using the PAP2 somewhere there are a number of other SIP devices? Behind an SBC?

Post a snap of the line tab from the device, you can hide the server name, password doesn't display anyway.

5. cyclone76

Hello sir,
    1) i use the free version on a Debian VPS with the static public ip and 3cx FQDN (same ip of course).
    Except that problem, all is ok. And firewall test is green everywhere.
    2) Into /var/lib/3cxpbx/Data/Logs i do not have 3CX Activity log file but 3CXMediaServer.2017-03-03.234444 file.
    3) Where do i have to active stun ? On the server ? PAP 2 ? Both ?
    4) On the PAP2, NTP server is programmed on "pool.ntp.org" : time and date are well updated.
    5) On the PAP2's dashboard, i can see "Failed - No Response" message.
    6) I am sure thart the remote IP has not been blacklisted (where can i verify that ?) because on the same intranet network, i use 2 x 3CX client (for Windows and for Android phone with success).
    7) I wrote extension's filed as the others (which work). So i suppose it is allowed to remotely register.
    8) This PAP 2 works fine directly if i try to connect to an OVH voip account (trunk account is on OVH too).
    9) Which file do you want i post here ?
    10) I have the same problem with a Cisco SPA303 (cannot programm with provisionning and manually).
    Thanks for help. I begin with trunk 3CX.
    Fredo

6. cyclone76

On the dashboard log, i can see tonight (i replace public numbers by x) and this message on the PAP2 info dashboard : "Can't connect to login server" :

SIP request (REGISTER) from 37.x.x.x was rejected. Reason: Block WAN requests is ON. Message: REGISTER sip:217.x.x.x SIP/2.0 Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 10.x.x.x:5060;branch=z9hG4bK-b183e787;rport=62795;received=37.x.5.x Max-Forwards: 70 Contact: LINKSYS <sip:008@37.x.x.x 62795>;expires=120 To: LINKSYS <sip:008@x.182.x .x> From: LINKSYS <sip:008@217.x.x.x>;tag=afa6e29bed20b92eo0 Call-ID: 1e9633db-68f79904@192.168.1.150 CSeq: 52799 REGISTER Allow: ACK, BYE, CANCEL, INFO, INVITE, NOTIFY, OPTIONS, REFER Proxy-Authorization: Digest username="008",realm="3CXPhoneSystem",nonce="414d535958bc641d77:339f30e6034807b6ee90a028d298fd66",uri="sip:217.x.x.x",algorithm=MD5,response="ce3af802308cca2c7dec33329fa53b86" Supported: x-sipura, replaces User-Agent: Linksys/PAP2T-5.1.6(LS) Warning: 399 spa "STUN Server Not Reachable" Content-Length: 0

Thanks for help

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This tells me that you probably haven't unchecked the extensin option to allow registarions from outside the local LAN, You have to do hat with any remote extension you wish to use. By default only local extensions ca register.

The fact that you now see a log (when using an IP), would suggest that the previous proxy setting, using a domain name was not able to be translated into an IP properly using DNS. You will have to figure out what settings (network?) you neet to correct, to remedy this.

cyclone76 likes this.
  8. cyclone76

Hello sir,

You are right : that works well as soon as i uncheck this "option to allow registration from outiside" to allo registration from outside. PAP extension appears immediately online and on green on the 3CX dashboard and 3CX clients.

1) I was surprised because all the others extensions have "option to allow registration from outiside" unchecked and work well without error message on the log's dashboard ! But i read in the manual that only IP phones extensions must be unchecked !

2) After a few minutes of use, i notice that PAP2 can not be called : phone does not ring and i have the voice mail (but i can make inside and outside calls). So i unplug and replug the phone and it can be joined (phone rings and i can answer normally) but only during a few minutes. Do you have an idea to stop losing incoming calls after a while ? Note that the PAP2 appears always as available (online green led) on 3CX clients even it cannot be called.

3) I suppose that it is not possible to use provisionning function on PAP2 ?

4) Is it necessary to fill and active Outbound proxy or Stun server in the PAP2 ?

Thanks a lot for help ;

Fredo (France)

#8 cyclone76, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  9. cyclone76

2) i found the solution reducing Register Expires at 180" so PAP2 registers to 3CX system each 3 minutes and is always reachable. Perhaps is there a best method on the 3CX system configuration ? :)

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I usually set the Register expires time to 1700 (seconds) as 30 minutes is the normal time-out. I have found that Cisco/linksys devices usually obey the re-registration time sent during the initial registration, so I'm a bit surprised you wee having an issue unless something was changed on the PBX end to shorted the time required. Every 3 minutes is a bit too often for my liking, but if it works for you...

As far as provisioning...a template would have to be created to allow this. I know that, in the past, a manufacturer (or two) have created provisioning templates (and made them available on their websites) for use with their phones and 3CX. So, it is not impossible, probably just time consuming. Given that the PAP2 is obsolete, and the template would really only be of use if you were installing a number of units at a time (which i don't see happening these days), unless someone has already created one and wishes to share it, I don't see it happening.

From what you describe from the manual is interpreted correctly, then a device that registers using a Domain Name, rather than a public IP will simply ignore that option.

Now that you have the PAP2 working, you may want to concentrate on why it didn't work using the domain name.

Outbound Proxy won't be used in most cases, so if it is blank just leave it. As far as STUN...you may or may not need it. If the device is behind a router yet registers with the public IP (and correct port), then you don't have to enable it. If it attempts to register with a private IP, then you probably do.

11. cyclone76

Hello Leejor,
    Thanks for your precious help during configuration.
    1) I will try to found a provisionning pap2 template on the net.
    2) I confirm that i have to register each 180 seconds to be sure to have incoming be calls.
    3) Voice mail server is on 999 but it doesn't work (busy tone). Works with others extensions and with Cisco SP303 phone (with 999 into Voice mail server field too). Strange...
    4) I must push the # touch at the end of the sequential number to valid its composition (known problem with PAP2). Perhaps can i resolve changing dial plan ? Mine is : (*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)
    5) For Outbound Proxy i did not receive any call until i active it.But i do not use stun.
    Regards ;
    Fredo

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You are probably going to want to replace the entire dial-plan on the ATA with something that works for you. A search on the web for "Linksys dialplans" will come up with a number of sites giving explanations of how they work (format), and some examples.

Not sure if i understand the mail server question. You are going to have to dial 999 for your voicemail, I don't believe that the setting you are referring to will do anything with 3CX. Some sets have a voicemail button, and that is what gets programmed. In your case dialling 999 now, may not go through because of the existing dial-plan.

The re-registering every 180 seconds should not be required, there is still something else not-quite-right. If you want to post the tabs, i will look over them.

13. cyclone76

What is the tabs ? Where can i found them ?

14. cyclone76

I compare (and i am wrong) PAP2 ans CISCO SPA-303 (i use both phones) :
    - PAP2 filed name : Voice Mail Server: I put 999 and that does not work
    - SPA-303 field name : Voice Mail Number: i put 999 and that works
    => I think i cannot access to 999 with PAP2 because the dial plan is bad.(but both phones use same dial plans !).
    => When I pick up the PAP2 phone, I hear several "beeps" and I see the message "Voice" on the dial (with and without 999 into Voice Mail server field).

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The Voice Mail Server field is not for use with 3CX, it is not where you put in the voice mail access number, you will have to dial 999, I don't know why you can't access it. Does the 3CX Activity log show an incoming call when you do?

Do you mean stutter dialtone (audible message waiting) indicating that you have a new message?

The tabs show each page, they are at the top, like tabs on file folders

16. cyclone76

Yes i can hear indicating that i have new messages.
    But no possible to hear message dialing 999 : beep-beep-beep-beep......
    I have change 999 id for 002 ID but it is excatly the same thing.
    But if i record an extension with 005 ID, i can call it.
    Very strange.....

17. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If, in the 3CX activity log, you don't see the 999 call, then it is being blocked in the PAP2. In almost all cases, the dial-plan is at fault. Are you able to dial any other 3 digit extensions? Try replacing the default plan with (xxx). that will allow any 3 digit number. You can then expand on that to allow other (outside) numbers and star codes.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/suppo...spa901-1-line-ip-phone/108747-pqa-108747.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.