• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Linksys phonebook support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jørgen Seemann

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Having upgraded to v6.0.664.0 (pro), I'm so sad to see that my phones (Linksys SPA922 & SPA942) is not picking up the directory from the PBX :?

There's not a Linksys directory in the provisioning folder neither - but a snom ?

So what .. are we doomed or is the Linksys directory comming soon ?
(or have I just misconfigured the system... :oops: )

Re: Phonebook not working

Linksys phones dont have a phonebook. However there appears to be an update for the phones on the way which will have an LDAP phone book functionality. We will consider supporting this......

admin said:
Linksys phones dont have a phonebook. However there appears to be an update for the phones on the way which will have an LDAP phone book functionality. We will consider supporting this......

They do have a 'personal directory'

from the LinkSys manual:

A directory entry consists of the following information:
• Name
• Phone number or (SIP) URL
• Ring Tone
Up to 100 entries can be stored in the 900 Series phone. An entry can be added or edited from the phone
GUI or on the web page or through remote provisioning. To do this from the web page or through remote
provisioning, you specify the value as a DirEntry script. To view or edit the personal directory via the
phone web interface, use the link http://ip_address/pdir.htm.

Cheers!

Eric

admin said:

Firmware 6.1.3 now indeed supports LDAP.
Any update on this function?

I just bought 7 SPA922... I think 3CX should seriously have a table on the website with a list of supported phones (SPA922 is one of them) and the functions that actually work with 3CX!

No, we do not support LDAP phonebooks. We have a list of supported phones and firmwares

http://wiki.3cx.com/Home/tested-devices--interoperability-notes

Its not possible to make an exhaustive list of all features of phones supported, but we will take your feedback into consideration.

Thanks for the answer, for your information:
- As far as I have tested, the Linksys SPA922 with new firmware 6.1.3 does seem to work flawlessly with 3CX (SMB)
- I tried to implement the LDAP function (with an open source LDAP server). I realized it's not what I needed: i thought this would replace the "personal directory" of the phone. It does not. It sits side by side with the personal directory of the phone: there is now a search function in the LDAP directory, but it's not straightforward for the end-user (and doesn't make sense for a 6-persons company). So I actually don't mind if 3CX doesn't implement pseudo-LDAP support for Linksys phones.

As far as the list of features supported per phone/per firmware, I do understand it's hard to maintain. I really think however it is something you should plan on doing and displaying on the website, otherwise there is a risk of lower satisfaction from customers who bought 3CX just to realize some functions are limited on their specific hardware. It's work, but it would be much appreciated.

mattlandis said:
The selection process is quite complex and everyone has some unique feature they want. This might be a senario where a trusty partner could help? Just a thot.

True enough Matt, a 3CX trusted partner is always the better way to go.
The advantage of 3CX though for very small companies is its ease of use for basic usage (set-up lines and extensions, set up the phones to auto-provision via 3CX HTTP and its all set). All this can be done by people like me, i.e. non-IT persons with an intermediate technical knowledge. These persons usually have never set up an IP-Phone system, and probably will only set up their own company's system. They have a limited knowledge of IP-Phones in depth-features and compatibilities.
I personally chose the Linksys phones because they were easy to use (had tested one), had good feedback on the internet forums, and offered the nicest and easiest interface. Appart from the lack of phonebook support, I really don't regret it (I was able to set up a TFTP server to change interface language + company logo after a few searches on Google).

A 3CX partner is of course always better, but the induced cost are higher than regular PBXs (I mean, at least for us in Germany, we had better offers from ISDN/hardware based providers than from 3CX partners). So, without hiding the fact that having a real 3CX partner is always the best way to go, I think 3CX may want to display the very basic phone features compatibility list, for young companies like mine who can't afford this service just yet, and choose 3CX as a DIY solution.
Basically:
- auto-provisioning (already indicated)
- BLF support (already indicated)
- phonebook support (this is not on the website)e)
- Voicemail indicator with number of supported line(s) / phone (this is not on the website)

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your feedback. I understand where you are coming from.

Please note that the Linksys only added the phonebook feature very recently. Its also not really a phonebook, its an LDAP query feature. You need an LDAP server to query and 3CX is not an LDAP server. We are not sure its something we wish to do either. Its possible though to query Active Directory via LDAP, so you could store your phone numbers there. Its probably not so easy to do though.

However, i question the use of a phonebook on the phone itself. We are developing an operator panel which will be a very simple and light weight client which the user can install and it will be easy for him to maintain a phonebook on this interface, maybe this a solution as well?

admin said:
However, i question the use of a phonebook on the phone itself. We are developing an operator panel which will be a very simple and light weight client which the user can install and it will be easy for him to maintain a phonebook on this interface, maybe this a solution as well?

Thanks for your time Nick. Actually, any small phonebook app getting its info from the existing 3CX phonebook would be great, and would be a good remedy to the lack of Phonebook sync on some phones. Maybe are you planning on actually including this in the 3CX VoIP Client then?
We do have however (as more an more small businesses) a mixed PC/Mac mac environment...There is currently no Mac OS support for the VoIP client, so I hope the wind will change someday :lol:

Hi Pierre!

We plan to include a phonebook page in the support portal - this would work on mac phones to. Would that work for you?

On Mac Computers ? Sure, that would do the trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.