Linksys SPA-3102 can't make outgoing calls.

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mosesmosheh, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mosesmosheh

Hi,

I've set up a Linksys 3102 exactally as the guide says on the 3CX wiki, and am experiencing the following problems:

When the 3102 'line' is connected to the BT Master socket, I can make a successful outgoing call to "1471" by dialling "91471" - 9 is to call the outside line. However, if I choose to ring 1571 (by dialing 91571) it won't connect! I've set the server up to route 5,7,12 digit numbers through the 3102, removing 1 digit from the start - but it will only ring 1471! I have tried ringing a mobile and other landline - both inside the area code (7 digits) and outside (12 digits). The logs show the same success story for 1471, 1571, and the other numbers - only I don't get the same success story!

A second issue, if I plug the Internet Router connection into the same socket (via a micro-filter) the system won't dial at all - it will only give me a dial-tone. Is it possible to be able to route the Internet and use the 3102 on the same line? (NB: The aforementioned tests were carried out without the modem being plugged in).

If anyone could shed some light on these issues, I'd be eternally grateful!
    Sam

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As long as the outgoing rules are correct in 3CX, and it is passing the digit info to the 3102, the call should go through, in theory. Of course in practice, it may be another mater. First of all, I'massuming you can dial 1571 from a regular phone plugged into the same jack that the 3102 normally plugs into? On the "main" status page of the 3102 it should show the last dialled number on the PSTN line, is the number correct there?

My understanding of the British master and slave jacks is that the master contains a surge suppressor and a capacitor that goes in series with the ringers of phones plugged into other sockets in the house. So no mater which socket you use, the modem should work as it should be using just two wires (tip and ring) not the third wire for the ringers.. When you say the same socket, you mean one with two sockets in one? You are putting the micro filter on all other devices in your home EXCEPT the modem, right?

You mean you can't break dialtone with the 3102? What about with a regular phone?

3. mosesmosheh

If a number is dialled on the PBX phone, the 3CX system says that it's connected - the trunk status and the Extension status both light orange and the trunk status shows the correct number (with the "9" didgit dropped). I can dial 1571 from a regular phone. If I make a call the main page shows the last dialled number correctly.

Basically, there is a filter plugged into the master socket. From the filter's ADSL port, the Modem/Router is plugged in. From the filter's Telephone port, I have a BT to RJ11 adapter plugged into an RJ11-RJ11 cable, which goes to the 'Line' port on the 3102. (Other connections are: a telephone is plugged into the 'Phone' port of the Linksys 3102 (via a RJ-11 to BT Converter) and the Internet WAN port of the 3102 is plugged into a network switch). There are no other BT Sockets in the house - just this master socket.

In terms of the dial tone:
    Once the call has been placed, I can hear a sort of echo (for want of a better description) as the number is dialled, but then all I have is a dial tone. After 25-30 seconds the generic BT lady says "Please hang up, and try again". This happens with every number, but only happens with the modem plugged in. If I unplug the filter (disconnecting the modem from the world), plug the line jack from the 3102 straight into the Master Socket, it will only dial 1471. If I try another service (1571) or a mobile number, it just disconnects the call.

The master socket has been 'adapted' - the facia has been removed, and the filter is plugged into the 'engineers port'. BT still haven't come out to replace the facia that should be there - could this be causing a problem?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, trying to diagnose a problem like this, without actually being there is like looking over a wiring schematic, through a drinking straw, you don't get the whole picture.

Have a look at this... http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

I'm wondering if you aren't connecting one side of the 3102 to the pin 3 connection in the wiring diagram, the lead going through the resistor. In the UK the master socket is there to provide that third wire which goes to the ringers. Only the tip and ring , A & B, lead are necessary for the 3102 and the modem. The third wire only goes to the bells of a BT set wired to make use of it, and should not be used with the modem or 3102.

Have you made changes to the PSTN / International Control section in the 3102 to make it compliant for the UK market? The DTMF tone levels might be on the low side so that some digits aren't getting through.

If you have a second slave socket, you might want to add it onto the master socket then plug the modem into that. Use the filter in series with the 3102 on the Master socket, then try it the other way 'round.

5. mosesmosheh

@leejor
    The 'removable panel' described in the diagram isn't on my master socket. The 3102 is patched directly into the Engineers Socket behind this panel. Could this be the problem?

I have made changes tto the PSTN/International Control section. I've set them according to this guide:
    http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-01-08.php

Are these settings correct? You mentioned some digits aren't getting through - this would explain why 1471 and not 1571 has a result. Would it be possible if you could have a peek at these details and let me know?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

We someone has put together a very nice site for using the 3102 in the UK. Since I use mine in North America, the majorty of settings are left at the default.

I would have to assume that these settings are correct for the UK, although people have been known to make the occasional error when putting together a site. I'm sure , if you look, there are probably some more sites with 3102 info for the UK. You could compare the settings, just to be sure.

It is difficult to know if it is a level problem (with the 1471/1571) or that some digits aren't being sent, without monitoring the line with a butt-in (telephone test set) when the line is being seized and digits dialled. Since you probably don't have one of these lying around, you may be able to rig one up by putting a capacitor in series with a regular telephone (try to use a low capacitance non-polarised cap, 50 Volts or higher), that would allow you to listen to the phone line without seizing it when the 3102 attempts to dial. Then you know if it is sending four digits, on the code that fails, or it is sending less. If you hear all four going out, then it very well may be that they are at too low of a level and not all digits are being detected at the central office. This could be a fault of a setting in the 3102, a defective 3102, or the phone line. Although if you are getting ADSL over the same line then it is highly unlikely that it is a problem with the line, but maybe a socket. If you hear fewer or more than four, then you have a dialplan issue. You did say that the status page showed the correct number dialled, right?

It might come down to the wiring of the phone sockets. If all else fails you might want to purchace a second slave socket and wire it in as shown on the site line a few post back. plug the ADSL modem directly into the new socket. Use the filter for the 3102 only (plugged into the telephone socket). Every device (telephones, answering machines, caller ID boxes, etc. should be going through the filter. Only the modem should be connected WITHOUT going through a filter.

7. mosesmosheh

I've managed to fix this problem! I'd like to post the solution here in case any other users of the SPA-3102 experience a similar issue.

To re-cap the 3102 would sieze the line then make a strange echoey dial-tone until the BT lady disconnected the call. With a lineman's test phone I could hear the 3102 successfully dial the digits. I also tried adding a line box without the bell shunt wire connected - just A & B to 2 & 5. The same problem occured. Ocassionally, without the ADSL modem being on the line, the 3102 could call 1471 but nothing else! However, after more testing I discovered this wasn't too much of an issue as more often than not the same problem occured with or without the modem being attached, in a variety of patchings.

Deciding to start from scratch, I restored factory settings and provisioned the device from the 3CX Server. Testing the system on other lines in different areas all worked. However, I was still having the same issue at the one location.

Solution
    After much tinkering, I adjusted the "SPA to PSTN Gain" (under PSTN Line in the section 'International Control') value to 4. This allowed 1471 and 1571 to send, but not longer numbers. I adjusted the same setting to the value of 6 and the 3102 quite happily placed a call to a mobile and land line number.

Caller ID issue
    The template the 3CX Provisioning Gateway created for me ( in Version 8 ) didn't seem to properly configure caller ID. I altered the template to accomodate Caller ID as described in the 3CX's Wiki for manual configuration of the 3102 and re-provisioned the device. Caller ID happily passed over to my IP Hard and Soft phones.

My apologies if I'm repeating another post on the forum. My thanks to the forum user 'leejor' who gave a lot of support earlier in this post.

Hope this helps.
    Sam

PS) I've amended "SPA to PSTN" to "SPA to PSN Gain" - 21/07/2010

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That is the SPA to PSTN Gain ? The settings in that section of the 3102 can require some derivation from the defaults to accommodate systems outside North America (where the defaults are designed to operate) and different characteristics of phone lines.
    Glad to hear you got it working, it can be frustrating as many have found.

9. mosesmosheh

That's the one. Sorry: I've amended this in the above note too.

It's very frustrating: it's a great little device, but if it doesn't 'plug and play' it's a bit of a nightmare :-s
    As I mentioned, with the standard 3CX provisioning settings it worked a treat in some areas of Wales, UK, but in others it's a bit tempromental: but tinkering with the settings got me there in the end!

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.