• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Linksys SPA2102 and Fax - does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrollen

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has gotten a Linksys SPA2102 to work with a fax? 3CX support says that it's unsupported but maybe someone has found a workaround. I followed the 3102 instructions but still no luck.

Thanks,

This question has come a number of times, with various outcomes. A success, can depend on exactly what you are trying to achieve, whether the fax is going/coming over a VoIP provider (and which one) or gateway, and particular make/model of fax machine. Of course, the correct settings also help, but, what works in one location make not be the best to work in another. Do a search through the posts and on-line for the settings that others have come up with for the use of fax with these devices.

If you use a VoIP provider, be sure they support fax, ask them for any advice that they may have on device settings, then try registering the 2102 directly with them and see if everything works as it should, then incorporate 3CX.

I don't have any external SIP trunks setup right now so I'm just trying to fax internally as a test. I've setup the Windows fax service and I can successfully fax from my desktop to x888 and it makes the round trip. My physical fax machine with the SPA2102 would just be outbound only. It connects, sends the fax tones and then terminates the call. I had the 2102 laying around so I thought I would give it a shot, but I'm inclined to just purchase a SPA3102 and save the hassle.

The only reason to add the 3102 to the mix is for the added gateway (FXO) function, if that is how you want to bring in your outside line. The FXS portion of the 3102 is pretty much the same (but only half the fun) as the 2102.

That's what I thought so I was surprised that I couldn't get it to work. The FXS configuration seems nearly identical to the 3102. 3CX Support won't help me because it's not officially supported. At least if I get the 3102 they will help me get it working if I have problems.

I cannot get the 3102 to work either.

If I plug in my VOIP Provider settings directly to the 3102 it will send faxes all day long quite happily.

But if i configure it as an extension in 3cx then it never works. The reason being is that 3cx keeps forwarding the t38 invite from the internal ip of the 3102 when i look at the wireshark.

In the wireshark i see the call from the 3102, to 3cx to our voip provider and the call rings the other end and gets answered. I then see that the 3102 says it is a fax and starts a t38 session. 3cx then passes the reinvite to the voip provider but shows the internal lan ip which the voip provider acknowledges to 3cx and the rest cannot complete as the internal lan cannot be accessed by the voip provider.

The document about setting it up cannot work and is missing a lot of settings - it can only work internally.

I raised a support ticket but was told that sending faxes via 3cx is not supported (which was new to me) so we couldnt progress.

I need some answers but will have to find them myself. I have played with some NAT settings and some other settings and am getting close. I know i can figure it out. It will be to do with sending the external ip via nat etc through 3cx, but there are so many settings and so little documentation from Linksys about what each does and when and why you would use it.

There are about 7 - 10 settings that I can play with, but that gives a lot of combinations and a lot of faxing and wireshark captures/analysis for each. But we are getting there :) As soon as I find the solution I will post it.

Does your VoIP trunk provider support t38?

Here is a screen shot of what works for us on a SPA-3102 using a provider that does not support t38

30rogle.png

Charles,

Is that going directly from the 3102 to the provider or via 3cx? I can get the 3102 going directly to the provider using t38 (supported) through NAT but cannot get it to go via 3cx (yet). I havent tried turning off t38 on the 3102 and going through 3cx. If you have that setup you just showed going through 3cx then I will play with the settings tomorrow.

Thanks

Works both ways. PBX does not deliver audio for that extension (have not tried the other way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yparker0320
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.