Linksys SPA3102 Help

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dyntech, Sep 14, 2007.

1. dyntech

dyntech New Member

I have my SPA3102 setup and working with 3cx both as a gateway and an ata. My problem is that I have been using distinctive ring on the PSTN line with a splitter that goes to a fax machine.

How doI tell the SPA3102 not to answer the second ring pattern?

I see where to enable it in the SPA3102 but I do not see anywhere to config for different rings.

2. tab

tab

Have you tuned ring validation time and rest on the bottom of pstn page?

tab

3. dyntech

dyntech New Member

The problem is I do not know what to chage it to.

Does anyone have a manual that explains all these settings and what they do?

4. tab

tab

I'm afraid you have to find the good settings. The docs you can reach are unsatisfying.

tab

5. dyntech

dyntech New Member

Anyone in the US have one of these that is setup satisfactorily?

6. dyntech

dyntech New Member

I also get an echo on my phone. Most calls I can hear myself echoing in my phone for the first few seconds of the call, it seems to go away and come back for short periods of time during the call.

This happens both when I use the phone connected to the ATA and when I use a Cisco ip phone dialing out through the SPA3102 to the PSTN line.

I'm not sure what the adjust, I've tried almost everything and each time it was worse.

7. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

With regards to the echo read https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/echo-problem-with-linsys-3102.2364/ where Henk has outlined some relevant steps.

With regards to the distinctive ring issue, you mentioned a splitter was in use, why not place the SPA downstream of the splitter where it would answer all calls meant for that number only? Fax would be on other "leg" of splitter.

#7 Mirzab, Sep 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
  8. dyntech

dyntech New Member

The SPA is downstream of the splitter- the problem is both the SPA and the Fax want to answer all of the calls because nothing is "intelligent" enough to tell the rings apart.

The only way around this is to have 3CX answer the call sooner than the fax which gets me voice calls but I am unable to receive and unattended fax.

9. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

OK. Got it now. Was under the false impression that the splitter was an actual device that switched calls based on ring pattern. Will have to give it some thought.

I actually have such a switch sitting in a drawer a couple of years now. If you were closer you could have it. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.

10. dyntech

dyntech New Member

Where did you get the "splitter" you have?

11. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

The one I was mentioning here is something barely bigger that a pack of cancer sticks, got it from Bell Canada many years ago when I first tried the distinctive ring option. No complaints, it worked fine. It wasn't actually a splitter but more of a blocker. You would set the SPA/3CX for 4 rings and the fax for 6, put the device on the SPA side, and it would block any pattern not meant for the SPA. That way if the pattern was meant for the SPA, both the SPA and the Fax would ring but either the call would be answered on 3CX or voicemail would kick in before the fax even tried. If the pattern was for the fax the device would block the SPA side and the fax would activate after 6 rings.

I have also used a couple of switches by Comswitch since then. These are actual switches that listen on the line for fax tones, and will switch call to fax if appropriate. Still have them in a box somewhere also :lol:

I didn't stop using these solutions because of issues with them, even though they would glitch one and far. I just went over to TrustFax.com for inbound fax and use my old fax machine on Vonage for sending when needed. I am not a high volume fax user and this way was easy and trouble free.

12. dyntech

dyntech New Member

After doing a search on the internet I found out that the "Distinctive Ring" feature on the SPA3102 is not what I thought it was.

Their version of distinctive ring is to set up personalized ring patterns for specific callers. It can not tell the difference between two different rings provides by the telco.

So for it to work as I wanted I need to buy another piece of equipment that will act as a "switch" as Mirzab had suggested.

13. dyntech

dyntech New Member

Does anyone in the US have an SPA3102 working without echo?

I have tried changing every setting, I followed Henk's guide on echo with the SPA3102 and still get an echo.

Any help would be appreciated.

14. dyntech

dyntech New Member

I bought a ComSwitch 7500 which goes inline between the wall and the SPA3102. It automatically detects the distinctive ring and switches it to the correct device for the ring.

Since installing it, all of my other echo problems are gone!!!!! :D :D :D

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good.

It was not that I was ignoring you but somethimes I get busy :).

What you might find is that that switch you put in place actually filters and flattens the voice hence the echo disappears.

Good to see it is all good now.

16. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

Don't want to say I told you so :oops:

But I TOLD YOU SO :lol:

17. dyntech

dyntech New Member

I think I spoke a little too soon... while the voice quality is better its not as good as I would expect.

Still needs some tweaking.

But thanks for the tip Mirzab :D

18. dyntech

dyntech New Member

OK Guys,

I need a little help. I have tried tweaking this thing and have literally tried EVERY setting on the PSTN tab for FXO Port Impedance. Nothing sounds good enough.

When a call is first connected, I can hear myself echo for about the first 5 seconds. After that it comes and goes for a few seconds at a time.

I know it has to be the PSTN settings because I am getting this from a Cisco 7960 IP phone, not an analog phone. I even disabled the Line 1 port just to be sure it was not affecting the quality.

Setup can be seen here:
    http://www.dyntech.net/spa3102Line1.pdf
    http://www.dyntech.net/spa3102PSTN.pdf

What do you think Henk?

19. dyntech

dyntech New Member

Nobody has any Ideas?????!!!!!!!

20. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

Always have ideas, just not always good ones :oops:
    Henk's outline is pretty much the Bible on fixing echo issues, not sure why it did not help you. I did post screen shots of my setup here: https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/linksys-spa-3102-with-3cx-3-1.2334/ . Feel free to peruse and compare to yours. My call quality, while not absolutely perfect, is good enough that I am content. Or maybe I am just easy to please :lol: