Linksys SPA3102 Problems

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jptilb, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jptilb

I have a linksys SPA 3102 being used as a PSTN gateway connected to a 3CX PBX. Everything is fine and I can make outbound calls. I CANNOT get the system to receive inbound calls. I have followed the guide on the 3CX site, I have also configured the SPA3102 to all the UK settings.

I have a SysLog server running. Whenever I dial the PSTN line from my mobile, the following appears in the syslog:

FXO:Start CNDD

Nothing else then happens until I hang up on my mobile and the following appears in the syslog server:

AUD:Stop PSTN Tone
    FXO:On Hook
    AUD:Stop PSTN Tone
    FXO:Stop CNDD
    CC:Clean Up

Surely I shoup be seeing an attempt to pass the call to my virtual extension in 3CX for this PSTN call?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as this is driving me crazy.

2. randomtat

I would lay money on saying it would it have something to do with the Dialplan section of the PSTN line within the SPA3102. I did have initial problems with it and deleted all the VOIP Gateway settings in 3CX and then reset the SPA box and followed the guide word for word and bingo it worked.

Also since your in the UK (like me) remember to change the field in PSTN Line > PSTN Disconnect Detection called "Disconnect Tone" to :-

400@-30;3(*/0/1)

This will stop the phones ringing after an inbound caller has hungup.

3. jptilb

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I have followed the guide word for word several times.

Is it something I have missed on the inbound rules side on 3CX? I havn't actually done a lot with this.

4. jptilb

I have set the diaplan 8 to (S0<:10000>)

10000 being the extension of the PSTN gateway in question. I have also set the default dialplan to 8.

5. jptilb

Still no joy with this. Can anyone help?

6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

There is an important factor here. Yes the guide is good to follow but it does not give details for localization settings. By this I mean that in the guide we cannot give the dial tones for each country. (Otherwise the guide will be never ending and confusing)

You have to get dial tone settings from your telco provider and configure the linksys to the correct dial tone for the UK.
    The guide will explain how to get the device registered with 3CX and configuration of basic settings to make incoming and outgoing calls. (http: //www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/linksys-3102/ - NO LONGER AVAILABLE)

It is important that you follow randomtat's suggestion as he is located in the UK too - he has also provided crucial info on the frequency of the disconnection tone.

Also when you make this type of call, and you open the server activity log in 3CX - (Note you have to enable verbose mode and restart the phonesystem service to see real information) Do you see an attempt from the linksys to try and contact 3CX? This is also important because if the linksys doesn't make it to 3CX, then the problem is between the Telco line and the Gateway and this has to be the starting point for troubleshooting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jptilb

Hi Thanks for your response

Is there an alternative PSTN gateway that you can suggest for use in the UK that is a little more plug and play. I really like 3CX as a system as it knocks spots off others but am being held back by the Linksys unit not being ready to rock in the UK.

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

The linksys 3102 is a good gateway. The problem in this case is not the gateway in itself - it is the technology (Analog) If the solution was ISDN yes, I would tell you go for a Beronet card or a patton. With our configuration files and a couple of clicks here and there you will have everything running in 30 min tops. However here we are discussing an analog gateway and because of the nature of analog and how it is deployed in different countries, nothing is straight forward here.

Forget it that you are going to find a gateway where you just plug in a line and works out of the box with tonesets, Caller id, etc etc. Unfortunately these are only available for the United states :) Reason being because gateway manufacturers have US markets and they ship with US tonesets by default. (And even in this scenario, you will have problems too) However it is not impossible and once you have configured it, the configuration will remain always valid.

Any FXO gateway needs configuration after deployment. That there are gateways that are less complicated to configure - Yes I agree but you still have to "localize" them to make the gateway understand the tones and frequency that the country/telco you operate with uses. An easy gateway to configure is the grandstream example 4104. But you still have to intervene manually to configure tonesets information.

Failure to do so will result in no calls, Stuck calls, calls that do not disconnect and remain connected for nothing, lines being occupied for nothing and extra costs.

Unfortunately you have to go through this process.

What I would do is the following:
    Phone your telco or BT. Ask them for tone settings, and take a note of them. Or google is your friend. There are loads of 3CX users and people out there from the UK who have this gateway configured. Once you get these settings, then you have everything you need to work. Put these settings in, follow the 3CX guide to make it register and you will have it working.

One thing I would try - In our template we have added tonesets for the UK. Create a gateway in 3CX, select UK tonesets, and complete the gateway configuration. Then you will see the generate configuration button at the bottom. Generate the configuration and save this file in the following location -

Start, Run, type %allusersprofile% then go to \3CX\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning
    Put the generated file inside the provisioning folder.

Access the linksys and in the provisioning tab under profile rule type in the following for IIS :
    Code:
    http://IPOFYOURPBX/management/provisioning/$MA.xml
    or the following for cassini
    Code:
    http://IPOFYOURPBX:5481/provisioning/$MA.xml
    Reboot the linksys and wait. Make tests and check if you have results after this. The linksys will reboot and will check in this location for a configuration file. It will find it and load it loading with it the UK toneset database information and 3CX configuration.

For more info see this link http: //www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/linksys-3102-provisioning/ - NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The only SIP devices that are plug & Play are those you get from providers like Vonage, where they supply the hardware and you just plug it in. They supply them this way because they retain control over all of the settings and firmware. So just like the car owner that has no desire to even open the hood, you don't have to know how it works, it just does.

For people that ask, i tell them that if you have no hesitation in replacing your computer hard drive and migrating all of your systems to the new drive, you can probably handle configuring a SIP device. It's like deciding that you are going to rebuild you car engine, you have to do some research, spend some time and be prepared to be frustrated, otherwise just pay someone to do it for you. Things don't always work the way they are supposed to, especially right off the bat. Many times because of simple, easily missed data entry errors.

If you do some web searching, there are a number of sites where people have shared their regional settings for the 3102 as used in different countries. They may not be using it with 3CX, but they can solve a few "mysteries". The big manual, which if not included with the 3102 can be downloaded, should be read from front to back.

10. jptilb

I thought I would post a response to this thread now I have got everything working as many people seem to take the advice and run without saying 'thanks'.

I used the provisioning as instructed and applied all the UK settings and sure enough calls are now coming in and out. I have a few issues but at least the thing is doing what it is fundamentally designed to do.

3CX is a fantastic system and thanks for all your support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.