Linksys SPA922 no Audio

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mase2hot, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mase2hot

Hi,

trying to set up this phone as a remote extension. Seems to work fine but no incoming audio. Other people can hear me but I'm unable to hear them. Strang thing is if I plug it into our data broadband it works fine. I think its an issue with the router a netgear. Saying that our data network router has no configuration which would allow it to work on that. I have not opened ports etc. How can I investigate this?..

Thanks

2. TwigsUSAN

Have you tried making a call between two phone? Say the SPA922 and a softphone?

3. mase2hot

Yes I called from one extension to another same issue. Although botth are external extensions so probably not a full proof test. I'm unable to test anythin locally with the PBX as its 100 miles away...

Thanks

4. mase2hot

this is now working I changed the rtp port to be 9000-9049 on the linksys config page. Although now If I ring this linksys extension from any phone it does rinf the linksys but the extension thats making that call also seems to be receiving a call from itself.

The strang thing only happens though if you ring the linksys extension. The linksys extension can ring any other extension without issue....

Thanks

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It might help if you were to post a 3CX log of this sort of call.

6. edon

I have the same problem.. my Linksys phones cannot talk to each other, but can talk to softphones.
    When I make an outbound call from Linksys, everything is fine but when someone calls from outside to my phone I pickup it rings they can hear me but I cannot hear them.

how can I fix this?

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Did you set up the external extension to use STUN? Is it the only extension at the remote location? If not, does each set have a unique port number? The port assigned to the set isn't being used by another device, on that network, is it?

8. edon

NO i don't have remote extension, I only use them in the office .. I have like 50 softphones that work normally but the Linksys spa922 they have the problem, outbound calls are fine thought only when people call in and they pickup the calling party can hear them but the linksys phones cannot hear them talking and linksys phones cannot talk to each other.. one way audio.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I was actually addressing the person that started this post. Sorry for your confusion.

10. edon

I might have the same issue..eventhough they are local i still use public ip address for my server so I assume I need remote extension configuration, I have tried everything and yet unable to be able to make it work.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Why would you use the public address of your server if both 3CX and the sets are on the same LAN (I assume)? You are just asking for problems.

12. edon

sry forgot to mention, I have some other services running in that server, and I have couple of remote extensions in europe, so I had to.

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are using more than a couple of phones, in a remote situation, behind the same router, then you may want to consider using the 3CX Proxy Server at that location.

A single set behind a remote router is usually not an issue. Any more than that will require a unique port assigned to each set and there can be audio issues caused by "router confusion" in dealing with the audio packets. Some makes/models of routers have a more difficult time dealing with this than others.

14. edon

it worked with proxy manager... thank you.

15. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Hi,

there are some strange (and I would say unnecessary) points in the posts above. It's better to keep things simple as possible.

1. It is absolutely not necessary to forward ports at remote site to remote extensions. This may only complicate the setup. The only thing you need to do is to set STUN server -- for configuring SPA922 follow literally the manual setup guidelines for Linksys phones in the blog. In cases you have a remote router supporting SIP ALG -- either try to switch it off or don't use STUN, if SIP ALG is working properly (not with all routers).

2. Make sure your 3cx server is configured properly as well as the router in front -- run the firewall checker utility in 3cx server, see what is the address with which the remote phone is registering -- at least it should be a public one, if no tunnel is used (with 3cx tunnel you should see normally 127.0.0.1:some_port, except 3cx tunnel for Android phones).

3. In case the router on remote site is not allowing proper operation (assuming correct phone configuration) you need: (A) either to use 3cx proxy server if 3cx softphone is working via tunnel or (B) set a VPN tunnel using suitable routers (PPTP, L2TP, IPsec, OpenVPN, etc.) to the main site. The second option may be preferred in cases of adding security or providing QoS. Routers like MikroTik could be a good choice -- powerful and inexpensive.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.