Linksys SPA941 multiple line questions

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Internguy, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Internguy

Ok Im using a linksys SPA941 that has access to four lines. Ive got it set as an extension in my 3cx phone system. All 4 lines are under the same extension. How do I change this? I assume I need to go into the phone online and change each extension. Anybody got any tips?

2. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

Hi, All you will need to do is create more extensions within 3CX, manually setup the Cisco Phone and setup a Sip Profile for each 3CX Extension. All this can be done from the Cisco Web Portal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Log into the phone as admin, go to Advanced (upper right), click on the Phone tab. You will see the line key appearances. You can make the keys all extension 1, (which as I recall is the default), or change each key to it's own extension, key 1=1, key 2=2, etc. You can then select each Ext tab, and put in the extension number and password for each line key.

4. Internguy

Ok can I just create the extension with out provisioning? I cant reuse the mac address so i created an extension and assigned my second slot that extension but it didnt connect. What do I need to do for that.

5. Internguy

Ok so i got the secondary line set up as my new extension its just not registerd. How do I do that if I cant provsion the phone with out reusing the Mac address?

Also a big thanks to you guys for your help, its really appreciated :D

6. Internguy

Ok I got it. Thanks all for the helP!

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I guess that you figured out the each line has to have a unique port number assigned.

8. Internguy

Okay so I changed my lines to 3 digit extension and am trying to set up my phone back to using the 4 lines. Ive set each extension in the linksys console to the related extension in 3cx and Ive gone to the phone tab and changed each line to a diffrent number. I changed each short name by adding a a number after each one because if I dont it doesnt register any of them. right now Im seeing only the first phone which is provisioned in the 3cx phone.

What should I look at or am I missing?

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how the "short name" would have any bearing on registration. Call me old fashioned, but, I've always provisioned these things manually.
    Each line is treated as a separate logical device sharing a physical device (and IP). That means each could be configured to register with any SIP provider, not just your local 3CX. So...you have to tell each line, where to register, along with the extension number and password to use. As I said previously, each extension (line) is seen as a separate device, so each should have a separate, unique, port number. If you have them all "pointed" to the correct IP (3CX), then you should be able to open the 3CX server log and see an attempted registration attempt, from each line,failed or not.

If you don't see that, then re-visit, the server settings on the phone, and figure out why the message isn't getting to the intended destination.

10. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Nevertheless it is possible to set the other available lines (i.e. 2 to 4) as different extensions in 3CX, it is not useful too much.
    If you want to do this, the lines in SPA-941 must be set as 'private' appearance, not 'shared'. The latest firmware available is 5.1.8. (and Cisco said there would not be any further firmwares) and this firmware is NOT supporting BLF (in contrast to newer firmwares but for SPA-942). In fact you need more BLF functionality than registering other extension to other line keys.

BR

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Pablooo

Hi,

This is a similar issue that I have with my 3CX console. I have a PAP2T working in line1 in port 5060, it´s working properly, I can get calls in and out and get voice on it. but for line 2, I configure it to port 5061 and the linksys phone 2 led it is on green, meaning a right linksys configuration but the problem is when I made another extension in 3CX management console in phone provisioning I am asked for MAC address, I get there the MAC address but is the same on the line 1 and 3CX reject it another MAC is useless cause will be not configured for my PAP2...
    What can I do to set line 2 as another extension??
    thanks for your help
    PAblo

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Not having used the auto provisioning myself, I'm not sure if it is meant to handle more than one "device" at a MAC address, although you'd think it would as there are many multi line sets being used out there.

If you don't get an answer, you may have to resort to doing it manually, it's not that difficult. In the PAP2T just follow the datafill for the first line and make changes to the settings unique to that line... extension number, port, password, user name, etc.

13. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

It is possible to modify the cisco/linksys template to provision several lines per device. I've done it with SPA-2100 and SPA-2102.

Regards

14. Pablooo

Hi!

I just intented to handle manually, I did it in linksys console but when I have to register the extension in 3CX Console I have to choose linksys model and I am asking for the MAC.. There is another option to do it manually?? to skip MAC or to get another than can works??
    Thanks for your help!!
    Pabloo

Attached Files:

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You should be able to create a new extension and not specify the device that will use it. This leaves it open to be used by any type of set/ATA/softphone that happens to register with the correct user/password.

16. Pablooo

I just did it and I can call from my new extension to others but I cannot connect to the recepcionist and cannot call from 3CX phone to that extension... in extension status appears like not registered extension... can you help me with this?

17. Pablooo

Hi,

I just create the extension without specifying the device I going to use.. but in 3CX console the status of the new extension remains as "not registered". This extension can call to others in my local network but others extension cannot reach this extension cause of the "not registered status".
    Can you help me on this?
    Pablo

18. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Check the 3CX logs right after you power up this new extension. Look for the registration logs. You may need to change the logging level to verbose to capture more detailed logs, but try it without, first.
    If the log doesn't make sense as to why the extension shows as not registered, then post it here.

There is probably just something that needs to be tweaked.

19. Pablooo

Hi leejor,

Thanks for your support. I tried to find out the problem is but finally I will use a PSTN provider for my 3CX console so now i am using a SPA3102. Even on this I have issues with the dial plan, I am in Mexico and I want all traffic thru my PSTN line avoiding Europe-Asia Calls and "01900" calls. I know this is not a topic for this but maybe you can help me.
    Thanks a lot for your help!
    best regards,

Pabloo

20. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

When setting up outbound rules, don't think about what you want to block, think about what you want to allow. All else will be blocked. You can base the rules on the number of digits and/or digits dialled.

How are local or national calls dialled as opposed to international calls (the ones you want to block)?

If there was one particular prefix that you wanted to block, like the 01900, you could create a rule that went off to a trunk group with no members (dummy group). It is also possible to send the caller to a recording, but getting nowhere a few times should give them the idea that they will not get through and not to bother trying again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.