• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Linksys SPA942 Multi-Registrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadsync

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a client with an intermittent internet connection, basically it's good and then times out for a ping, resume and continues this process approx. every 3-mins or less. The connection is being addressed but will take a few days due to weather and re-running new lines as it's a dish a few hundred feet from the location.

We just set this client up with a hosted PBX setup, the extensions where having a difficult time staying connected, through making a few adjustments the phone remain connected and re-connect automatically if there is an extended period.

With this activity, the 'phones' section is showing each phone with registrations of up to 15 per phone. As of current this hasn't caused any issues, however I am wondering if this will and is there anything else we should adjust to calm the re-registration down for these phones.

Any insight would be appreciated for this temporary scenario.

Thank you,

Thinks about it this way...as long as a set re-registers every 30 minutes, 3CX is happy. If the set happens to loose internet connectivity during that 30 minutes, 3CX will be unaware as long as it doesn't try to send a call to it during the interruption in internet service.

As long as the sets retain the same IP as the original registration, then there should be no need to re-register more than every 30 minutes, (or less, if you want).

I appreciate the explanation, helps to get a visual for what makes 3CX happy:) Where could I make an adjustment for the re-registration, or at least check that it's only set to register within the 30-mins interval as you mentioned?

Thanks,

In Linksys devices it is set in seconds. The phone default being 3600. That is normally overridden by the provider "suggesting" the minimum re-registration interval. You can manually that to 1800 (30 minutes) or something less. The set should be happy and not re-register any more frequently unless there is a physical Ethernet disconnect, although ...(I haven't really investigated) if you are using STUN and keep-alives, the set may be aware that there has been a loss of connectivity, any it may use that to trigger a re-registration more often than needed.

With this setup we do see that after a connection issue happens, the phones do re-register. Therefore this must be coming from the 'keep-alive' correct? Therefore if we were to disable 'keep-alive' the phone should re-register as normal while not requiring a 're-register' each time with a connection interuption.

What would be the side-affect of disabling keep-alive, would there be a possibility of the phone not staying connected?

That would be more to do with your local router and/or STUN. You can disable, and see if there are any undesirable affects. Just be sure to make note of the settings before you go changing things.

Much appreciated, this helps and ya making small changes and tracking is always a good idea:)

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLK
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.