Load-balancing scheme ?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by suse, Aug 1, 2007.

1. suse

Hi ,

I was wandering whether 3CX Phone System can function in a load-balancing scenario - meaning the load of call establishment being distributed (WRR or threshold based) between several servers.

Has anyone tried it yet ?
    Can it be done using Microsoft's NLB ?

2. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Not yet. We're targeting companies that has 200 extensions at most. Current version easily handles 80 concurrent calls without noticeable load of CPU. So there's no reason to worry about load balancing for signalling atm.
    RTP processing is designed to be scalable, but even it doesn't require load balancing atm. Still, we'll improve scalability of Media Server and will be ready to provide solutions with two or more Media Servers connected to SIP server with balanced distribution of RTP streams among them.

3. suse

archie,

Thanks for answer.
    What about redundancy -- Active/Standby setup ? (either cluster or other options)

4. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

No, we didn't consider that seriousely by the moment. Probably we will if we would like to compete with big-big-bucks call centers like Alcatel/Genesis :)

Atm, my main goal as a developer is to build very reliable, stable and full-featured PBX. Afterwards we will look forward to make it bullet-proof (and fool-proof :) ) and even more featured :)

5. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

On the Enterprise edition comparison page it says it supports Clustering. Is that coming soon?

6. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Oh, yes! Your post remind me that Nick told me to keep most of settings in database to have ability easily switch between SIP servers. Yes, we will support such an ability (I mean Active/Standby setups), but I can not tell you when and how. But yes, it is somewhere in plans :)