Local audio configuration

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by reaxion, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reaxion

I've previously used Asterisk, but as I need to switch the server for our PBX to Windows I decided to take a look at 3CX. In Asterisk, I can set up an extension that is connected to the local server's audio in and out (i.e. if the local machine is being used as a switchboard, for example) using the ALSA or OSS configuration files.

What I'd like to do is configure 3CX to use an extension, or paging and conference with local line in and line out audio connections on the server where it is installed. Is it possible to configure this? If so, is there any documentation that shows how to configure it?

Thanks. :S

2. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

Sorry i don't fully understand what you are looking for. Could you explain it a little bit more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. reaxion

Hi tsukraw,

With Asterisk, I can configure it so that the sound on the Asterisk server's machine is piped through a local "console" using the ALSA sound drivers present on all forms of Linux. This means that audio sent to the computer (from an external mic connected to a pink port or PCI/USB sound card, for example) is passed to a specific extension or conference room on Asterisk, and all audio received on that extension/conference from third parties is routed out through a speaker or line-out port.

This enables an operator or other authorised party to be able to directly use the server for communication, forwarding of calls, outbound dialling, etc.

This is also possible with FreeSWITCH, but I can't see a similar feature in 3CX.

Here is an older article about Asterisk. This functionality is still present in Asterisk 12 and above.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+console+channels

Here is the same type of functionality on FreeSWITCH:

https://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_portaudio

I notice that 3CX has support for MOH via a Line-In or Mic port, but unfortunately that appears to be the limit of the functionality.

Please ask if you need further information on this, and I appreciate you taking the time to reply. 8)

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not really clear on the functionality of what you are describing.

How does...
    ...Relates to feeding audio into, or out of the mic/audio jacks on the back of the server. Is someone expecting to send audio, fed into the servers audio port, direct to a particular extension?

As far as I'm aware, and I may be incorrect, any use of the Line-in audio, on the server machine,would be limited to music/audio on hold.

Reading the link you provided leads me to believe that the functions described (placing calls using the mic/headset jack) are handled by use of the 3CX phone running on a PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.