• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Log4J Vulnerability - CVE-2021-44228

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Schmidt

Bronze Partner
Intermediate Cert.
Reaction score
Hello,

Can we get a statement from 3CX on CVE-2021-44228? Is the system affected by this vulnerability? If not, great! If so, is a patch coming and will action be required on the part of Administrators.

Thanks,
Ian

Reactions: ckrammer
I don't believe 3CX is using anything JAVA related...

I believe that plugin is only for Apache. 3CX uses nginx so it shouldn't be affected.

Reactions: cobaltit
Log4j is part of a lot of components, I updated all my linux servers to the newest packages, except for 3CX as of now. We need an official statement if we can (have to?) update the Debian base system to avoid any risks.

I believe that plugin is only for Apache. 3CX uses nginx so it shouldn't be affected.
I would say it is the wrong time to just believe jcostlow!

As ckrammer said we need a clear and official statement.
Our security tools already went on alarm that the nginx.exe is communicating with malicious IPs.

Examples:

virustotal also classifies these addresses as vulnerable.

So to me it clearly looks like nginx.exe is using the log4j functionality and is affected!

Reactions: ckrammer
This is absolutely false information. Log4j has nothing to do with Apache httpd (web server).

That being said, 3CX doesn't seem to use any Java at least in our local Debian-based appliance and I found no traces of Log4J being installed on it.

Hello all,
Thanks for raising concerns, let's clear this out: we are indeed not using any Java in the 3cx System and confirmed with our Product team that we have no dependencies with Log4j library so aren't affected by this vulnerability.

@Bucher Admin this means your 3cx HTTPS port was contacted by those IP addresses that are probably scanning for vulnerable hosts to hack but it's a dead end in our case.

Hello all,
Thanks for raising concerns, let's clear this out: we are indeed not using any Java in the 3cx System and confirmed with our Product team that we have no dependencies with Log4j library so aren't affected by this vulnerability.

@Bucher Admin this means your 3cx HTTPS port was contacted by those IP addresses that are probably scanning for vulnerable hosts to hack but it's a dead end in our case.
Thank you very much for this official information.

Have a good day Pierre.

Kind regards,
Christian

Reactions: jed
Hello all,

Hi thanks for the "official" statement.
Now let us clarify if ghis is applicable to 3cx windows client(ver.16, ver1.8), mobile apps(Android/iOS) as well?

@HiroNikuyama we've checked also the 3cx windows client, Desktop application, Android app, iOS app and they don't have any dependency to this library, so all are safe.

@HiroNikuyama we've checked also the 3cx windows client, Desktop application, Android app, iOS app and they don't have any dependency to this library, so all are safe.
Good! thanks for the detailed info!

Reactions: ChrisC_3CX
I made some analysis today and found traces of log4j in the File /usr/lib/3cxpbx/NLog.dll

log4jDateBase
log4jxmlevent

I made some analysis today and found traces of log4j in the File /usr/lib/3cxpbx/NLog.dll

log4jDateBase
log4jxmlevent
I'm not an expert but I believe this is so that Nlog can send and receive messages to a remote log4J application. Again, this is just a guess!

Found this thread after getting a positive result with one of our scanners, Network Detective by RapidFire Tools that seems to point at a 3CX install on Linux as being vulnerable on port 5900. Not sure what to make of it.
3CX-Log4J_Vuln.png

3CX Phone System on Linux (Debian in our case) does not ship with any apache components.

Hi, @Tanner Chartier, looks like a false positive but I'll PM you so we can double check with your tool.

Hi @pj3cx and? It was a false positive?

Reactions: mcbsystems
Hello,
I have not received any reply from the gentleman but our internal checks confirms that there is no such vulnerability in the products. In particular, nothing happens when throwing java strings to our ports...

@tnib_brainy about NLog.dll, it's a standard .NET library used for logging, it does have 2 "Log4j" strings in it which are functions names meant to format some outputs in the same manner for interoperability purposes, but in no way this means the vulnerable Log4j library is statically or dynamically loaded in it. The two libraries are not related. You can also refer to their site or github for more info.

Hello,
I have not received any reply from the gentleman but our internal checks confirms that there is no such vulnerability in the products. In particular, nothing happens when throwing java strings to our ports...

@tnib_brainy about NLog.dll, it's a standard .NET library used for logging, it does have 2 "Log4j" strings in it which are functions names meant to format some outputs in the same manner for interoperability purposes, but in no way this means the vulnerable Log4j library is statically or dynamically loaded in it. The two libraries are not related. You can also refer to their site or github for more info.
Just to underline this via a simple github search -> https://github.com/NLog/NLog/search?q=log4j

Most occurrences of "log4j" are in comment lines. "log4j is commonly used" and not "log4j is everywhere" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.