Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Logs information

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Luis C, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luis C

Hello,

Is there any manual explaining the logs that can be used to troubleshoot the different services?

I would like to know where are the signalling logs containing all SIP messages, media resources assignation or provisioning messages.

For example: If Yeahlink is provisioned but It is not posible to register... where can I find if the provisioning request is reaching the 3CX?

Thanks in advanced,
    Regards,
    Luis Carlos

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Goto the activity log, select your NIC card and capture.
    Reboot the phone.
    When the phone reboots, turn off the capture.
    Open the capture file (dump.pcap) in Wireshark (https://www.wireshark.org/#download)
    Filter based on phone IP src.ip==192.168.0.0 (whatever the phone happens to be). This should give you plenty of info on why it is not registering. If you need help deciphering, feel free to PM me the file (or onedrive link) and the phones IP.

(These instructions work best for local phone/pbx. May vary slightly for filtering remote devices.)

Sometimes, an internal IP may become blacklisted for incorrect authentication requests.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Luis C likes this.
  3. Luis C

Thanks Craig,

are there any internal logs that I can check?
    I've seen a manual for the tool 3CX log viewer but I've not find where are the logs neither their description.

Regards,
    Luis Carlos

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Goto the activity log, select your NIC card and capture.

Have you done this step yet? This will give you the best possible information about the situation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 craigreilly, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. Luis C

I got your point Craig.
    But I disn't really open the post to solve a certain issue, I would like to know how 3CX logs works. If they are useful to troubleshoot some signalling, media or provisioning issues.

From your answer, I understand that wireshark capture is one (the best way) to troubleshoot.

3CX Logs can also be used? If yes, where are they and which one is used for?

Thanks,

6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Luis C

The easiest way to gather the logs of the PBX is to generate a support info bundle. You can do that by navigating to the support tab on the top right of the management console. Once the generation is complete you will receive an email with a link so you download these files. You can use a txt editor to open most of them, but for bldef and blrec files you will need the 3CX bin log viewer. More details regarding that can be found in the link below.
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-log-viewer/

Obviously for troubleshooting issues you will need to set the PBX to Verbose logging. You can do this by navigating to Dashboard / Activity Log / Settings. Restart the PBX services after you set it to verbose and remember to set it back to low once you are done.

Luis C likes this.
  7. Luis C

Thanks Yanni,
    is there a document that describes the purpose of each log?
    e.g.: xxxx.log contains signalling messages, yyyy.log contains media resources assignation, zzz.log http requests, etc.

8. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

No, i am afraid not. The logs inside the support info bundle are clearly named though. For example the log for entries regarding the management console is called "3cxManagementConsole.log"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.