Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Long Duration Connections

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pauljoseph, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauljoseph

to anyone's knowledge, is there a time limit on a connection to a 3cx softphone (windows) of approximately THREE hours?
    many thanks

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

not if there is any data going through it. But your PC may go to sleep if there is no key or mouse functions in that time.

Who is cutting you off? Sometimes a provider or even CLECs will cut a call after a long duration, especially if long periods of silence are detected.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pauljoseph

hi,

sorry, the topic insertion process was a bit obscure...

the connection is made on a laboratory network, no firewall, no service provider. there is no microphone attached to the platform hosting the 3cx softphone so the rtp packets contain g.711 alaw silence (some very low-level digitization noise is present). after 2 hours 59 minutes and 40-59 seconds the connection terminates formally. looks like the phone simply hangs up. repeatable. the gateway from which the connection is made runs either one of two possible CAPI-VoIp bridging software (Te-Systems and IKON). i could trace at a number of levels but it really seems like the phone hangs up.

thanks

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

This is intriguing. If nothing else I am wondering why you need it for so long and how you measured the exact time. But I digress as it is not important - just curious.

I doubt the phone will be programmed to hang up.

You are on about the softphone. Can you run wireshark on the pc that the softphone is on. Then wait patiently for 2 hrs 59 and a bit minutes? If it is a formal hang up you will see a Sip Request with Bye and also a SIP Request the other way with an ACK.

If you are correct the phone will send the bye. If it doesnt then we know something else is cutting the connection (and we may see it on the wireshark).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

yes there is a limit on the phone conversation length setup. this is a sort of safety net for calls that might not have ended properly. But having said that why would you want a 3 hour phone call.

As to your probable next question no this cannot be changed.

6. pauljoseph

hi,

my questions are never probable. anyway I am only interested in confirmation of the observation. i did see a SIP BYE message coming from the phone to the 3CX PBX at about 3 hours.

I am using the 3CX PBX and Phone as a testbed for a gateway between my voice switch for Galileo (European GPS) Control Center and various other end points via the Cisco Call Manager. The 3CX software is exactly what I needed to be able to test the gateways in the studio before going into battle. The 3CX software is the only thing I found that really works out of the box. The FreeSwitch software for example, simply did not work as advertised.

At any rate, thanks again for your help, and
    Peace

7. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

this issue is described in the article on "docs&FAQ" blog page.
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/calls-end-after-3-hours/
    MAXCALLDURATION parameter is still available. Default value is 10800 seconds(3 hours).
    as far as it is not included to the list of "initialized" custom parameters, you need to add it manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.