• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Long Duration Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljoseph

Reaction score
to anyone's knowledge, is there a time limit on a connection to a 3cx softphone (windows) of approximately THREE hours?
many thanks

not if there is any data going through it. But your PC may go to sleep if there is no key or mouse functions in that time.

Who is cutting you off? Sometimes a provider or even CLECs will cut a call after a long duration, especially if long periods of silence are detected.

abc123 said:
not if there is any data going through it. But your PC may go to sleep if there is no key or mouse functions in that time.

Who is cutting you off? Sometimes a provider or even CLECs will cut a call after a long duration, especially if long periods of silence are detected.

hi,

sorry, the topic insertion process was a bit obscure...

the connection is made on a laboratory network, no firewall, no service provider. there is no microphone attached to the platform hosting the 3cx softphone so the rtp packets contain g.711 alaw silence (some very low-level digitization noise is present). after 2 hours 59 minutes and 40-59 seconds the connection terminates formally. looks like the phone simply hangs up. repeatable. the gateway from which the connection is made runs either one of two possible CAPI-VoIp bridging software (Te-Systems and IKON). i could trace at a number of levels but it really seems like the phone hangs up.

thanks

This is intriguing. If nothing else I am wondering why you need it for so long and how you measured the exact time. But I digress as it is not important - just curious.

I doubt the phone will be programmed to hang up.

You are on about the softphone. Can you run wireshark on the pc that the softphone is on. Then wait patiently for 2 hrs 59 and a bit minutes? If it is a formal hang up you will see a Sip Request with Bye and also a SIP Request the other way with an ACK.

If you are correct the phone will send the bye. If it doesnt then we know something else is cutting the connection (and we may see it on the wireshark).

Hi,

yes there is a limit on the phone conversation length setup. this is a sort of safety net for calls that might not have ended properly. But having said that why would you want a 3 hour phone call.

As to your probable next question no this cannot be changed.

mfm said:
Hi,

yes there is a limit on the phone conversation length setup. this is a sort of safety net for calls that might not have ended properly. But having said that why would you want a 3 hour phone call.

As to your probable next question no this cannot be changed.

hi,

my questions are never probable. anyway I am only interested in confirmation of the observation. i did see a SIP BYE message coming from the phone to the 3CX PBX at about 3 hours.

I am using the 3CX PBX and Phone as a testbed for a gateway between my voice switch for Galileo (European GPS) Control Center and various other end points via the Cisco Call Manager. The 3CX software is exactly what I needed to be able to test the gateways in the studio before going into battle. The 3CX software is the only thing I found that really works out of the box. The FreeSwitch software for example, simply did not work as advertised.

At any rate, thanks again for your help, and
Peace

this issue is described in the article on "docs&FAQ" blog page.
http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/calls-end-after-3-hours/
MAXCALLDURATION parameter is still available. Default value is 10800 seconds(3 hours).
as far as it is not included to the list of "initialized" custom parameters, you need to add it manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leo13215464
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.