Looking for some processing power guidance

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Ralph, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralph

Ralph Member

I was looking at Enterprise Edition. It states that it allows unlimited extensions and unlimited number of simultaneous calls. At what point does the number of extentions or simultaneous call begin to effect software performance?

Is there some guidance or rule of thumb when it comes to planning for a 3cx server for a large corporation?

For instance how much CPU power do you need for 25 simultaneous calls / lines? 50? 100? 1000?

How much RAM?

Hard Drive space?

Can 3cx handle multiple network cards so the bandwidth load can be spread out?

etc.

Thanks again

2. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I've been trying to get that info as well but the answer always seems to be - a new PC. For best performance I'm going to try this:
    P4, 2 gigs ram, 2 RAID 0 hard drives. I may switch to RAID 1 for some backup but 0 will give you very fast file access. Or Put the OS on 1 drive and 3CX on the other.

For the NICS I think you'd probably want to team them up for load balancing but with the same IP.

I'm trying to find components to build a new PC with the smallest case I can find that covers the above. Quite a few telecom companies in my area are using small PC's w/ some form of Asterix on it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

Good morning Rob,

I am not sure that disc access is as important as you think.

I would think it will depend on what exactly 3CX is doing. Is it acting as the media server; is it utilizing VM on say 5000 connections simultaneously; or is it merely acting as a SIP proxy to handle the setup of calls from a phone to a VoIP provider and then handing off the actual call to the phone and provider.

It also should depend on any transcoding that is involved. If the phone, VoIP provider and 3CX are all setup to use say 711U then the processor utilization should be minimal as it is the transcoding that needs clock cycles.

I can say that with very little use (say 5-10 simultaneous calls) I notice very negligible performance hit.

Just my 2 cents in the morning, but I would also like more concrete agreement from development (or tell me I am way off base).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

I almost forgot. I have dual nics in my server and have phones talking on both; however in my testing they are on seperate subnets. I do this for some VLAN seperation, without the need for a more expensive Layer 3 switch.

5. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Hi Tim - All valid points. I was thinking RAID 1 for some redundancy. If you're looking at a large install (Ralphs question 100-1000 extensions) then I'm sure there will be some high disk use with DR and VM. So in this case I'd try RAID 0. Also because disks are cheap. Why not ;)

6. Ralph

Ralph Member

Good evening

Good evening,

Any chance a 3CX rep might wade in here and point us in the right direction???? :)

7. Ralph

Ralph Member

Anyone??

Anyone??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.