Looses registration

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bangsjaman, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bangsjaman

Hi,

I have a very strange problem.
    My 3CX is working most times. But 3-4 times a day, we starts receiving calls with no sound. Afterward I see in the log, that registration to my voip provider fails.
    If I try to ping my voip provider, I cant. But the internet is working fine, and my other voip providers is working fine. Only my primary voip provider fails. It is also the one used mostly for both in- and outbund calls.

If I restart my Linksys RV042 router, then it would normally start working again. So I think it must be a router problem. But I have disabled firewall and port should be forwarded correct:
    3CX Sip UDP 5060~5060 192.168.0.5 Enabled
    3CX stun UDP 3478~3478 192.168.0.5 Enabled
    3CX UDP 9000~9049 192.168.0.5 Enabled
    3cx tunnel TCP 5090~5090 192.168.0.5 Enabled
    3CX sip TCP 5060~5060 192.168.0.5 Enabled

The Linksys log doesnt show any problem, and firmwareupdate and contact with linksyssupport didnt help.

Any ideas?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well, that's probably not good. Can you ping the provider from a PC on the outside of your router? Obviously 3Cx is able to register at some point or you would never have been able to receive a call. Does a ping work from a PC just after 3Cx is able to register with them? Your other providers are fine? It sort of points to an issue with that particular provider. Did this just start recently? Have you just begun service with them or have they had a reliable track record? Could it be something to do with your DNS settings?

3. bangsjaman

When it is working, I am able to ping the Voip provider from the 3CX computer.
    When it is not working I can not ping the voip provider from the 3cx computer, but I can ping it from other computer in the same network, from the inside of the router.

This is a rather new setup, so I dont think it is the voip provider. This is also a supported voip provider.

So it seems that the router after a while blocks the route going 192.168.0.5 (3cx) -> 192.168.0.1 (router) -> voip provider, but not for instance 192.168.0.6 -> 192.168.0.1 -> voip provider.

But the firewall is disabled in the router.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It would seem unusual for the router/firewall to block just that one computer, unless, you have specified it's MAC or IP as one to block outgoing packets, unlikely. It is also strange that it works at first, then fails. It is more likely that it is a problem with the computer running 3CX, hardware (NIC card, cable, memory, overheated processor, etc.) or software. Being intermittent, makes it a lot more difficult to diagnose. If you can, run 3CX on another PC to see if you can pinpoint the current PC as the culprit.

5. bangsjaman

Hi,

I am now testing with a new NIC to see if problem occurs again.

But I have just noticed something strange and I dont know if that is related to the problem, but normally outgoing calls use port 9000-9049 but at the moment these port are never used. Netstat -a shows:
    UDP ADPHONE:7240 *:*
    UDP ADPHONE:7241 *:*
    UDP ADPHONE:7242 *:*
    UDP ADPHONE:7243 *:*

Only port 7000-7499 is used for in and outgoing calls. It shouldnt do that, right?
    The strange thing is that it is working just fine, even that my router does not have port 7000-7499 forwarded...

I havent tried to restart 3cx since it is working just fine, so I dont know if a restart will make it go back to use port 9000-9049.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The 7000 series ports are (should be) used for internal calls and should not be forwarded.

This from the 3CX manual:

Port 7000 to 7500 (UDP) for internal calls (or higher if you have more then 250
    extensions).
    Port 9000-9003 (UDP) for external calls via a VOIP provider. Each call requires 2
    RTP ports, one to control the call and one for the call data. Therefore, you must
    open twice as many ports as you wish to support simultaneous calls via the VOIP
    provider. For example, if you want to allow 4 people to make calls via the VOIP
    provider simultaneously, you must open port 9000 to 9007.

These settings can be changed from within 3CX.

I'd be concerned about why you loose the ability to even ping the IP if your provider and registration failing after a while. You may need to substitute another router to determine if the current one is the source of the problems

7. bangsjaman

Yeah I know port range 7000+ is for internal calls and 9000+ is for external calls.

But at the moment 3CX is never using any 9000+ ports even I am using the standard port settings.
    I find this very weird. Even if we have outgoing, incoming and internal calls at the same time. Then a netstat -a shows that only ports 7000+ is being used.

It looks like 3CX is using this port range for all calls, also external?
    I have restarted the 3CX services now, and still no use of port range 9000+.

But my original problem has gone at the same time. I did replace the NIC so maybe that was what solved it, or maybe I dont experience the problem at the moment since ports 9000+ are not being used.

But this must be a bug in 3CX. I still fear the day, that it would start using port 9000+ again. Will I then have the problems again...

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If it is some sort of a "bug", you may want to post the version number of 3CX you are using.

9. bangsjaman

Sorry for my silence for a while, but I have tried everything to solve this problem.
    I have replaced the NIC and the Router, but still having different problems, allthough not exactly the same.

I am running 8.0.10116.583.

I still looses registration periodically but now I can stil ping, so it is not the router (and it has also been replaced with another model).
    I saw in the log at some point that it lost registration after a STUN request. It looked like the STUN request changed the port to something else and then I lost registration? I have tried disabling STUN request and maybe that part is solved...

But I am also experiencing that customer periodically get "number does not exist" when calling us. We cant see anything in the log, and if you call us again right after you will most likely experience no problems.

We are also daily seeing calls that are not disconnected even if both parties has hanged up. Then I have to disconnect the call in the 3CX server. But if I take a look in the log to try to find the problem, the calls are not even registrered??? I have registrede 4 different incoming phone number with this problem, and none of them could be found in the log? Thats strange.

We are also have problems while we do an outgoing call, we still get incoming calls ringing on line 2 from the call queue. All extensions are set to PBX detecting busy status, so that should not be possible? And even one time we experienced that the incoming and outgoing call was automatically connected, so it was suddenly a telco.

I am close to forgetting all about 3CX, but maybe someone has an idea on a simple thing that might be causing all of these problems?

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yoiu might try asking your provider, the next time this happens , if they have a record showing what happened to the call from their end. You might also ask what treatment they give a caller if you (the customer) appear not registered.

Your problems can probably be narrowed down to one of four possible causes...

A problem with your provider, incorrect messaging, network problems,plain incompetence (we'll hope it's not that)
    A problem with SIP messaging not getting through, ports blocked or reported incorrectly to provider (Router/firewall?)
    A problem with the PC running 3CX, hardware or software other than 3CX itself.
    Corruption of the 3CX install.

The last two could be verified by trying a new install on a different PC. Theoretically, you should be able to import all of your settings from the current install but you may want to try doing the setting from scratch, just to give yourself a "virgin" install.

The second problem can be tested by exposing the PC running 3CX to the 'net and having it take a public IP (no STUN)

The first one, you will have to gather some evidence that they aren't handling you call properly before pointing fingers.
    Good luck, perhaps some others on the forum have a few more ideas. Someone may have gone though this before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.