Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

lost 3cxconfig on RDS 2012 R2 and 3CXPhone

Discussion in 'Windows' started by gdesnoues, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdesnoues

Hello,

we have problems with 3CXPhone on windows Serveur 2012.
    My users log on to a RDS 2012 R2 server where I have installed the 3CXPhone (installed with "Install Application on remote desktop")
    They receive the config file by mail and move it on the software => it's OK
    But somtimes they lost the 3CXConfig files on startup and they must push the configuration again.
    What's the problem ?

2nd question
    Is it possible to modify the "3cxPhone model file" to change settings?
    - classify extensions by first and last name
    - use the blind tranfer to drag and drop
    - Open popup when new chat messages

my config :
    3CX System : V14.0.47020.408
    3CXPhone : V14.0.47020.0
    Windows server 2012 R2

thank you in advance for your assistance

2. Charles_3CX

Charles_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

Hi

One thing to be aware of with terminal services. You can only use 3CXPhone in CTI mode if you have no audio devices passed through from the clients. if the 3CX Phone is able to pick up both the input and output audio devices from the computer they are connecting from then you can use it directly on the Terminal Session. For CTI to work the 3CX Phone System and the IP as well as the 3CXPhone need to be on the same network. If connecting remotely then the IP phone will need to be configured behind the 3CX SBC for full CTI to work otherwise the ''Make Call' feature will be used.

Also as the APP is commonly installed on a TS server was not installed by the user using it, it runs as the installer which then then request a reboot when the config file is double clicked to configure the 3CXPhone as it will cause the installer to start

The solution for this is to create some missing registry entry's which will cause the installer not to start.

Simply copy this text into a txt file and save it as .reg which you can run on the TS server.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\tel]
    "URL Protocol"=""
    @="URL:tel Protocol"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\tel\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\ProgramData\\3CXPhone for Windows\\PhoneApp\\3CXWin8Phone.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\tel\shell]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\tel\shell\open]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\tel\shell\open\command]
    @="C:\\ProgramData\\3CXPhone for Windows\\PhoneApp\\CallTriggerCmd.exe -cmd makecall:\"%1\""

You may run this from the GPO.
    (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753092.aspx)

Also When you configure the phone on the TS as a user session and its not holding config, try this.

Configure the phone then exit the 3CXPhone, restart it and exit again and start it again.

Log out of the session and log back in and check if the settings are now saved.

In regards to your second questions.

1. You can change the order of the way that extensions are listed from the Settings (gear Icon), View Settings within the switchboard.
    2. Dragging and dropping a call in the switchboard will do a blind transfer, holding down the CTRL key while you drag and drop and call will do an attended transfer.
    3. You can set the chat to open on incoming chat from the chat settings within 3CXPhone.

Kind Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gdesnoues

Yes I know, but I would like to be "by default" when I send the Welcome mail.
    actualy I have to go see each users to change this parameters, and when they apply again the config file I must come again :(

4. Charles_3CX

Charles_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

Hi

Just to check if this works, configure the phone on the TS as a user session and its not holding config, try this.

Configure the phone then exit the 3CXPhone, restart it and exit again and start it again.

Log out of the session and log back in and check if the settings are now saved.

Kind Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gdesnoues

Ok I will try

for my second question I have use this solution temporary

I start a batch file on logon who change the 3 xml param I want. I have try in batch but it's too hard so I use PowerShell

My 3CX.bat is :
    Code:
    ;@echo off
    ;Findstr -rbv ; %0 | powershell -c - 
    ;goto:sCode

[xml]$myXML = Get-Content "$env:APPDATA\3CXPhone for Windows\3CXPhone.xml"
    $myXML.Accounts.Profiles.Profile.PresenceColumnOrder = "1"
    $myXML.Accounts.Profiles.Profile.AutomaticallyOpenChatWindow = "True"
    $myXML.Accounts.General.DefaultDragAndDropTransferType = "Attended"
    $myXML.Save("$env:APPDATA\3CXPhone for Windows\3CXPhone.xml")

;:sCode
    ;goto :eof
    It's OK in DEV, I will test it in PROD

But it's better if we can configure it in the web app in futur :idea:

6. bbaker73

bbaker73 New Member

This sounds like the same issue I'm having with Windows 7 virtual desktops. A base windows 7 image is where I install 3cx from administrator logon and configure a test account so it looks for updates and gets the current version runnin. Then virtual images are then created from the base image. So the users are new to the vdi pool the 1st time they log on, but after initial logon, vmware view uses persona management to roam their profile, so their settings roam from vdi to vdi even if it's a vdi they haven't logged on to before (they get a random vdi from the pool on login).

What is happening is two things, and this is inconsistent from day to day.
    1. they lose their config. the 3cxphone.xml file will be zero bytes.
    2. Sometimes on user logon 3cx says "has been installed" and I have to run through the config again.

They do not have admin privileges, so I have to shadow them if they have updates to get through the admin prompts.

So I'm wondering if this is the same situation as explained with the registry tweak for terminal server. Do I need to build in as a user config GPO to apply to the VDI machines? This would be a user configuration in the gpo not a computer configuration as the reg edits point to "current user"?

7. gdesnoues

I have tested and it's not OK for me.
    sometimes they lose the xml file (3Ko instead of 7Ko)

I decided to create a copy of the XML file in the same place but with the extension .user
    my gpo, at the logon, copy the .user to .xml to be sure that the config is good.
    This solution is not valide in time because it will take time controlling any add/remove variables in the XML when I will update 3CX.

below the lines of my batch
    Code:
    IF NOT EXIST "%appdata%\3CXPhone for Windows\3CXPhone.user" GOTO :Pas3Cx
    copy /Y "%appdata%\3CXPhone for Windows\3CXPhone.user" "%appdata%\3CXPhone for Windows\3CXPhone.xml"
    :Pas3Cx

about my other solution (with powershell) it's OK but I have a carriage return between the empty xml tags after start this batch. for exemple:
    Code:
    before:
    <Codecs></Codecs>

after:
    <Codecs>
    </Codecs>

8. bbaker73

bbaker73 New Member

Can anyone confirm the user registry change is what is needed on terminal servers, floating Windows 7 desktop pools for users randomly getting 3cx has been installed and having to run welcome email again?

9. tlachaus

wondering about this as well. having a similar problem using 3cx phone with roaming profiles in VDI environment. The 3cx app trys to install when the config file from the welcome email is loaded. I tried the registry fix, and no change.

Please let me know if anyone has a solution.

10. tlachaus

copying the 3cxphone for Windows folder from %appdata% to the roaming profile folder for the user in VDI seems to work to get the account information to load when the 3cx application is loaded. This works fine for users that have a physical machine to copy the folder from. We have some that use zero clients so that isn't possible without us in I.T. getting there password and signing in as them and then copying the folder.

I've resorted to manually just giving my user admin privileges temporarily so they can get the config file loaded.

11. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Have you tried installing the 3CXPhone while logged in with a Users Account? This way the install folder should be that of the User and if you also load a Prov File at that point, it should automatically get inserted into the correct folder. Also assuming that the Roaming profile folder is saved, then regardless where the users logs in from again, they should have everything there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.