• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Mac OSX 3CX client and Mac Address Book integration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itelligent1

Reaction score
We have a v15.5 3CX server running and a few Mac OSX clients.
These same clients have their Mac Address Book synced with our Exchange server.
So all contacts stored on the Exchange server are in their address book as well.
It would be great to have these contacts integrated in the 3CX client. Can we make this possible?

At the moment they "refuse" to use the 3CX client and keep their Bria v5 client (connected to 3CX server) because Bria does integrate the Mac address book.

Hope to hear some possible replies. :D

Why do you need the address book support? If you have exchange (2010 and above) and if you use the 3cx client all contacts of each user can be synchronized into the 3cx Client.

I must admit, I don't use the 3cx client, instead I use Dialectic for CTI. But if you want to use a soft phone the 3CX client is not a bad alternative.

A few reasons:
  • People have personal or other contacts (multiple accounts) in the Mac Address Book as well.
  • We do not want to have to change anything on the Exchange server side.
  • We do have customers running Kerio Connect (based on Exchange protocol) which does not work with the plugin.
  • Is does work on 3CX iOS, why not on Mac. ;)

Syncing email adresses from Exchange does not involve Changes to the exchange system (you have to create a special account however). It does not need a plugin. 3CX only uses Exchange EWS. There is no interaction between the 3CX client and exchange. It is all done on the 3CX server.
But If Kerio is compatible to EWS - i doubt, and of course if you have addresses not on the Exchange account or multiple accounts, that wont work with the 3cx client.

Do you need CTI or a softphone? If you only need CTI use Dialectic together with a supported phone - works great. If you need a softphone then I have no further Idea, besides post in the "ideas" section of the forum.

Sorry, I thought it used a plugin. It does not.

But the integration I mean is with the Address Book of Mac.
People have iCloud contacts, Exchange etc.
With Bria we can link the Mac Address Book and call people from that address book.

I understand the need... the Contact integration is the best way to do it via the link I supplied. 1 change in the system - adding a user for impersonation.

Will have a look into it. Though it will not use the iCloud (for instance) contacts which are in the Mac Address Book. Would be nice if you can put it in as Feature Request.

Don't get me wrong I love 3CX and would love to ditch Bria completely.
But it's a small showstopper atm.

Exchange will only sync the mailbox with the email address the user is logged into 3cx.
You could add some of the missing addresses via a public folder. if you have the need for an organization wide contacts list.

@itelligent1
3CX client integration with MAC's phonebook was a feature available in one of the very first versions of the client (on Lion or Mountain Lion, I don't remember exactly). However, some people started to complain they have to open computer's Preferences, unlock the lock, grant 3CX client access to Contacts, lock back the lock, way too complicated, so we removed it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.