Magicjack

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cjammer, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjammer

cjammer New Member

Has anyone used this Magicjack? They are advertising 20 bucks a YR. That really turns into 45.00 for the first year and 19.95 there after. They are also offering a 50.00 for five yr special for a limited time.

It all sounds really good. They even have a softphone from SJLabs, Which some reports say they both.

I have one coming ,so if no one else has used it, I will post more info after I get mine.

http://www.magicjack.com

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cjammer

cjammer New Member

Wow I am surprised no one has tried this yet.

I got mine, plugged it in, then I had to follow through a online wizard to set my 911 address, pick an area(which is very limited at this time, but is growing). Once you finish the wizard, it installs the software and your off to make all your calls.

Since the Magicjack has a rj connector on it you can connect it to your VOIP gateway and use 3cx with it. I have yet to look to see if I can find out the system information so I can use it directly without other adapter.

The call quality is not bad, especially for 20 bucks/yr. I have had some choppy calls in it. but you get what you pay for. I also dont have the greatest ISP in the world.

Thats my 2 cents worth on it anyone else tried it yet? found a better way to implement it yet?

Put your two cents worth in also.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tazz

tazz New Member

You are saying that you should be able to use it through 3CX or you just have not taken the time to configure it. At the Magic Jack Web site it states that this service will not interface with *Asterisk. Is that do to the required Hard Coates or is there a way of pointing this service through 3CX?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is not tested with 3CX.

However in theory the magic jack provides a normal phone connector which you should be able to connect to a normal VoIP gateway just as a patton etc... Which you can then connect to 3CX.

5. tazz

tazz New Member

Has anyone work with this Provider yet?

6. cjammer

cjammer New Member

I bought it as a novelty to play with, but it has come in handy for some stuff.

No, I have not figured out a way to interface it other than with my Telephone adapters. I have yet to find what protocol they up. Since it is not compatible with asterisk, then I be they are using some proprietary protocol like avaya does.

Maybe they will come around like VOIP.com did.

7. tazz

tazz New Member

This would be the ideal device to use;

http://www.patton.com/products/pe_products.asp?category=328&MiDAS_SessionID=f58bd8057aa74853a7815d6d5743c50f

8. francesco

francesco New Member

is a good idea, only usa and canada

9. aarevalo

Sorry for bumping this thread but just to let you know I have been able to configure 3cx to work with magicJack, its a little dificult since they encrypt their password but it is definitely doable. The only problem I'm running is that only 1 of my 2 lines work just fine. the other one only give 1 way audio when you are receiving a call

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Magicjack does use SIP but rely on advertising that shows up on the screen of the computer that you have the device plugged into. I'm sure that they aren't too happy that people have figured out how to use the service without using the device itself. There is lots of info on the net about that. You can always just run it on the same computer running 3CX and plug it into a FXO device as a trunk.

11. safe_place

Andys you said you were able to get magicjack working. I currently have it setup, and can make calls and recieve them. However, did you have any difficulty with the auto attendant/ digital receptionist. When you call in it does not play my personal prompt for the auto attendant. However, if I dial an extension it will ring the softphone and I can talk to the user. However, if I let the call roll to voicemail I do not hear the prompts even the default ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

Those of you who got MagicJack more or less working without their adapter and an FXO ... could you post the Provider/Port settings for 3CX?

13. Mioduz

i am also trying to get this to work, but have been unsuccessful at getting 3cx to register. I already ripped the SIP info off of the magic jack. But no dice. Server log shows:

19:04:23.568 [CM504005]: Registration failed for: 10003@MagicJack; Cause: 401 Unauthorized; from IP:216.234.67.8:5070

Any help you can provide would be a HUGE help

14. madhatterm

FYI In case you are unaware and would like a easy way to get your magicjack sip settings there is a program that grabs all that info from memory and dumps it to a text file.

It is called MagicJack_Utilities_v1.6 (stroths's MagicJack Utilities Suite v1.6 http://rapidshare.com/files/181629789/MagicJack_Utilities_v1.6.zip)
    You plug in the MJ dongle Launch the program, in the options of the program configure the pointers to where magicjack folder locations are on your system and then click the button that says get current sip info it will then dump that to a txt file. I use it to setup my magicjack on a linksys PAP2T device, I like use a hardware device like that better than a dongle on my laptop. Word of caution if you are trying to get this info dump and than unplug the dongle, and configure what every device that it is you are using. If magicjack gets 2 connections from the usb and what ever device you have configured it is a sure way to get your number associated with magicjack blacklisted.
    the settings look like this

Here is your SIP Information (Sanitized)

Login Information
    ProxyUserName = EXXXXXXXXXX01
    ProxyUserPassword = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

UDP Ports
    SIPUDPDefaultPort = 0
    SIPUDPPortRangeStart = 65535
    SIPUDPPortRangeEnd = 49152

Other SIP Data
    SIPCallerID = EXXXXXXXXXX01
    UserDomain = talk4free.com
    ProxyName = proxy01.CITY.talk4free.com
    ProxyIP = External IP
    User-Agent = User-Agent: MagicJack/1.80.484a (SJ Labs)

Where the Xs are will be your number and password, ProxyName where City is will be a main city that is close to you magicjack has several. I hope this helps those who would like to setup MagicJack with 3CX. Note this setup and asterisk setup is not approved by the EULA or MagicJack so not of caution do at your own risk your number maybe blacklisted.

Hope this gives you some understanding.

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well, it seems the Magicjack people have re-engineered their software. This has had the effect of making the current programs to capture the password ineffective. In fact, some people that had previously been using MJ services on ATA's have discovered that they have stopped working as the passwords have actually changed. This, just in case you were thinking of purchasing one to use on 3CX without plugging the phone line from the dongle into a gateway then into 3Cx as a trunk. This could change again in the future, but, i suspect the the MJ people will strive to stay ahead of hackers.

16. inet777

I have been using Magicjack as my outbound provider since March. Yes, in June Magicjack folks changed their MD5 authentication. So now you have to run a proxy server in front of 3CX, to intercept the authentication before 3CX talks to MJ server for SIP authentication. It is called MJMD5, it is available at unofficial magic jack support forums. Pretty straight forward, really.

17. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

From what I've been able to ascertain...any new users are unable to acquire their password, using existing "tools" due to changes in the way MJ stores the info in memory on the PC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

18. inet777

Not sure whether SIP utils are working for new MJ or not. I just glanced unofficial majicjack support forum and they are mentioning new util to extract passwords. I also read that many people are still able to successfully integrate magicjack with 3cx (or for that matter other pbx such as asterisk).

My first hand experience is that there is nothing magical about integrating magicjack with 3cx, once you have username and password for you account, magicjack is just another provider (of course you still need to run proxy server; i.e. 3cx does not authenticate with magicjack server, 3cx authenticates with proxy server; and proxy server authenticates with magicjack servers). Other than this little anomaly; integration of 3cx and magicjack is straightforward.

In nutshell, your best bet for magicjack related questions is unofficial magicjack support formus (google the phrase) and look under hacks section. If magicjack integrates with asterisk or x-lite, it integrates with 3cx. Goodluck.

19. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I had recently purchased, then returned after trying for 2 solid days to acquire password. Recent utilities do not seem to work.

20. jilldemi

I have ordered Magic Jack and its coming. I should have read this post first and not order it. It would be a waste of my money then..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.