Mail Settings

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Grad, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grad

Migrated working V14 settings over to V15. I also tried a New Install and entering new settings. I re-tried my settings for Charter. I tried settings for google, following instructions elsewhere from 3CX.

In every instance, Mail settings for my installs of V15 do not work. There is either no response, or a message saying there has been no response from SMTP.charter.net when I try the TEST button.

Suggestions?

2. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Try the following
    Make sure settings are entered correctly
    Save
    Go back to the page to ensure that settings are correctly displayed
    Go to services and restart 3CX System Service.
    Then it should work.

(SP2 will address this)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Grad

Thank you for your suggestions.
    When I attempt to enter smtp.charter.net:25 the setting :25 will not stick. With every setting change I've tried various combinations of saving, browser clearing ,restarting services and resetting the computer.

My charter does not support SSL.
    When I Check SSL, and TEST, I get this error message. "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 68.114.188.100:587"
    When I clear the SSL box and TEST, I get this message. "The SMTP server does not support authentication."

I get either one of these messages with and without the :25 port setting.

I suppose I have spend about 10 hours trying to get this to work. Hopefully the next version of 3CX will have more informative error messages.

4. Grad

By stopping services, I was able to get this message delivered to my email Box.

3CX Service notification

Following service(s) were stopped recently:
    3CXFAXSrv01 (192.168.1.150)
    3CXIVR01 (192.168.1.150)

Learn how to get more out of 3CX at www.3cx.com

I assume this means my email settings work..

However I also discovered
    I am not getting notifications for when a user (me) checks in and out of the management console
    Not all stopped services generate an email message.
    Using the TEST button still generates an error per previous post.

I wonder if other users are finding the same email responses..

Am looking forward to SP2..

5. Wendelspanswick

If you use Google as your mail server and you also have 2 step verification setup on your Google account you need to generate an app specific password.
    Sign into Google
    Google Apps - My Account - Sign In and Security - Password and Sign In Method - App Passwords.
    Generate a password and enter it on the 3CX mail server settings.
    Took me a good 30 minutes to realize this!

6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Wendelspanswick

The guide is the one I used but the last step no longer exists on Google (Allow access from less secure apps), you now need to generate an app specific pass code.

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

My Account still has it..
    How does your account look like?

Attached Files:

9. neville

neville New Member

Make sure you are not using IE for management. I use Chrome and it works fine.

Chuck

10. Wendelspanswick

Hi Nicky
    Maybe you don't have 2 step turned on as I don't have the 'Allow access from less secure sites'.

Attached Files:

11. danimal

Hello,
    Am testing the free version of 3CX. I have setup the gmail server - it sends the welcome email to someone with a gmail address, but not other domains. Please let me know how to resolve. Thank you.

12. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If you access your gmail account can you send an email to those accounts? 3CX is just a relay so if you are able to send them a normal email you will also be able through 3CX. Check the spam folder in case the emails end up in there

13. danimal

Thanks for the reply. The domain based email I am testing I use everyday in business. I send and receive emails with it using gmail as the client, so I know that it works and is setup correctly. So that is ruled out, and I also checked my spam folder -- nothing there.

In my google account, I have 2 step authentication enabled so I had to setup an application specific password, which I did. I entered this password in the 3CX email setup. Like I said nothing arrives when I am sending the welcome email to a user with domain based address. however when sending to foobar@gmail.com it works, and the message is in my inbox literally in 1 second after sending it. Very confused, and I don't see any log I can check. Thanks.

14. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Please note that 2 step authentication process does not work with 3CX. If you change the email address for notifications to a non gmail email address does the test work? As a test can you try a different gmail account which does not require 2 step authentication and let us know of that worked for you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.