Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Make Group calls alert Handsets when they become available

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by telis, Aug 24, 2017.

Make Group calls alert Handsets when they become available 5 5 2votes
5/5, 2 votes

1. telis

telis New Member

Let's say you have 4 extensions in a small work group and 3 of the people have gone out to lunch.

A call comes in to a ring group but the only user who is not at lunch is just finishing up their call. When they hang up their call they can hear the other 3 handsets ringing, but their extension will never ring because it will never receive the invite. If they a guru level user they can dial the call pick up code. Most users will scramble to one of the other desks.

Can it be fixed that when a user who is a group member hangs up on a call 3CX send an invite to that user. This is what would happen in a queue.

2. Lev

Lev New Member

If you have "ring all" as signaling method, you could lower the max ring time. After x seconds it will repeat and the phone should get the invite.
    However, this is only a workaround, that does not work for everybody, so you get my +1

telis likes this.
  3. telis

telis New Member

Hi Lev,

Are you sure, I'm talking about a ring group here, not a queue?

If I adjust "Ring Time (Seconds)" to say 4 seconds then it will go to the "Destination if no answer". I don't then appear to be able to select the same group as the destination.

However following the spirit of your suggestion I created a second group with the same members and set "Destination if no answer" of each group to the other group and the "Ring Time (Seconds)" of each group to 4.

If does sort of work. The external caller is not connected until someone picks up, as they would be with a queue which is excellent. The Group names keep getting added to the caller name so if you leave it 16 seconds you have Caller Name:Test:Test2:TestTest2:Christopher Edwards. The bigger problem is that if you pick up the call at the wrong time, whilst the call is being diverted to the "Destination if no answer", you do not get connected. Also you keep getting request terminated messages on the handset which is poor UX.

It would be great if this just worked without this hack. It requires no UI changes.

As a separate issue it would be also great if transferring to "Destination if no answer" did not terminate the request and then immediately resend the alert if the extension is a member of both the first group and the group specified in "Destination if no answer". Rather the handset in both groups should just keep ringing. The Caller Name could be updated with the name of the "Destination if no answer" (SIP UPDATE?). This also requires no UI changes and on most phone systems "it just works".

This is s very common scenario - a call goes to the widget sales ring group, but if they do not answer it goes to a ring group with both the widget sales people and the general sales team people as members.

(I first requested this 10 years ago here - https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/issue-feature-with-expanding-call-groups.2173/)