Making an extension ring that is not tied to a phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by BradKopecky, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradKopecky

We want to setup some internal extensions that are used for notifying our staff of a new client. Long story but in our profession sound is an issue so we wanted something that simply changed the light of a monitored extension. We are using Yealink T42G phones.

Our plan had been to use a BLF to the assigned notification extension to show the status of that line. The front desk would call the notification extension and the staff members phone would show activity on the monitored extension. Simple notification, no sound. We would set the activity status to ring for 5 minutes before going back to the front. However, since the notification extensions are not tied to a phone or 3cx client, they cannot "ring" and the call goes directly to voicemail.

Is there any way to make these extensions work in the way I described even though they are not assigned to a phone or a softphone client?

2. 12494

12494 Member

Not sure I understand exactly what you are doing but you can assign more than one extension to a phone. You can't do this through the regular provisioning but you can edit the phone's configuration through the phone web interface. Not sure if that helps?

Would it work to just ring the primary extension on the phone and turn the volume of the ringer off?

Allen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

As i understand it you want the extensions registered so they ring and the BLF keys for these extensions light up in the phones that monitor these extensions.
    There are a couple of ways to register an extension without a phone. The first is register the extension with a mobile device (Android or IOS) and make sure push in enabled under extension settings phone provisioning.
    The other way is populate the mobile Number field of the extension with a number and enable the option ring my phone simultaneously under the forwarding rules of the extension. This will keep the extension registered and the BLF status will update when a call comes in

4. BradKopecky

That last one sounds closer to what we are looking for. Odd question but since I actually don't want a device to ring anywhere, does the external number have to be a valid number?

5. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

No it can be a random number that does not ring anything. Both ways will keep the extension registered so you can achieve what you want

6. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Could you perhaps just buy a cheap IP phone or an ATA and put it in the server room or something?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. BradKopecky

The random number worked perfectly.

We have about fifty staff to do this for so the extra phone would not be an ideal solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.