• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Making calls via REST via Access/VBA on an RDP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewDBrown

Reaction score
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but before I start investing too much time - I could really do with some guidance to make sure what I want to be able to do can be done.

We have a MS Access database that everyone logs into, sitting on a 2012R2 remote server (we all login using Windows Remote Desktop Connection). Each user has the 3CX softphone installed on their local PC.

I want users to be able to issue the dial command (via a button/VBA) on the RDP server, ringing both the recipient and activating the users local softphone. I also need info such as connection time and links to possible call recordings.

I'm pretty handy with VBA, Javascript and able to issue the REST commands via VBA, but I need to double check that what I want to do can be done. Also, if anyone has any good pointers as to documentation - it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello @AndrewDBrown,

There is no REST API at the moment to launch outbound calls. The only way to do that is using the 3CX Call Control API, which is a .NET core API. And this API can only be used from the 3CX server, so if your 2012R2 server is not the 3CX server, you will also need to add some interconnection layer. For example, you can create a program running in the 3CX server which uses the 3CX Call Control API to make calls locally, and receive the call requests from a remote connection via a REST API that you offer.

Kind regards.

Reactions: AndrewDBrown
Thank you for coming back to me Emesto. The following hyperlink implies that there is a REST solution for this: https://www.3cx.com/blog/vlog/crm-pbx-integration/

That said, assuming that it doesn't allow me to dial - is it something that will be available in the near future?

Hello @AndrewDBrown,

That API is to match a caller number to a CRM contact. It works with inbound calls only. When an inbound call arrives to 3CX, we use the definitions from the template to lookup a contact in your CRM using a REST API call. But that's 3CX using a REST API from your CRM, not a REST API available from 3CX to be used by you... It's totally different than what you need.

At the moment, the only option you have is using the 3CX Call Control API.

Kind regards.

Reactions: AndrewDBrown
Thank you (again) Edos. Ok, that makes sense and will be useful further down the line. I'm going to post another thread shortly - just to get a few pointers, but I really appreciate you coming back to me again.

All the best, Andy

We have a HTTP API that includes all the call control functions -- MakeCall, Drop, Transfer, Listen, Barge, etc. It will do exactly what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.