Making inbound calls to 3CX from Skype Windows Client

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MatsW, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatsW

Hi,
    I aquired Skype Connect (connected to my Skype account) and got the SIP-trunc connected to 3CX PBX. But when I try to make a Skype-to-Skype call from a Windows client then call fails. It turns out that it's not possible to make a Skype-2-Skype call over Skype Connect. Caller has to call the Skype-In number which immediately turns this call into a traditional phone call :-(

Is there some way to set up a Skype client beside my 3CX PBX so that it hooks up as an extension. This way I should be able to make Skype-2-Skype calls when I'm travalleing abroad without having to involve the public phone network

Regards

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It used to be possible, using the no longer supported, 3CX Skype Gateway. I have managed to keep it working but another Forum member has had some issues getting it to work again.

It required you to be using an older version of Skype (I originally used a 4.20.169 version) running on the 3Cx server computer. That was fine up until this past summer when Skype refused to continue to allow older versions to connect. They were forcing users that had not upgraded , to do so. There was a way around it by taking the Skype.exe file from a recent install ( I put a 6.20.0.104 on another PC), and replacing the same file in the older version. The old version now shows the 6.20 version when queried.

The problem with all of this, if you never had it working, and the version of 3CX you are running, is that, try to install the older version of Skype may just not work, if you didn't have it working prior to last summer.

The old version allowed you to prevent updates, that option is no longer available. Now, a window pops up telling you that an update is available ...don't do it.

Here is a link to the instructions.. http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/skype/

You should be able to find an older version of Skype if you do some searches.

3. MatsW

The reason why 3CX Skype Gateway is discontinued, was that because Skype removed some API, or just that 3CX decided not to update 3CX Skype Gateway to the new Skype version?
    I'm asking so that I know who to pound on

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I suspect that once Skype offered a SIP service, 3CX probably felt that there was no longer a need (demand) for it. The definitive answer would have to come from them. The gateway still works (although I can't speak for any 3CX version beyond 11 and early 12), just not with a new install of Skype, as I've noted.

I don't use Skype very often, just to a few people, so I have not delved into the "inner workings", or exactly what has changed as their programme evolved. I'm thinking that advertising probably plays a much larger role in recent years.

5. MatsW

Well, the SIP-service offered by Skype is really just a replacement for plain-vanilla SIP-trunc providers since they disable the real functionality of Skype, which is to completely bypass the traditional phone system and enable a direct connection from caller to callee.
    It would be really interesting to hear 3CX opinion about this as it seems like they've missed this important functionality of a Skype connection to 3CX PBX.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Thing is... there are other ways around this. Most devices allow a Skype App, so...you can call other Skype users when travelling as long as you have a data connection. If your device supports a 3CX phone App, then you also have connectivity back to any extension on the PBX, as well as outbound calls, no different than being at home. Being able to call, from a Skype client back to the 3CX PBX via the 3CX Skype gateway would seem to be making it more complicated than necessary. Granted, I don't know your particular requirements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.