Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Manual download of 3CX service packs ? ** NOT AVAILABLE

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pmacleod, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmacleod

Hi,

I'd like to be able to carry these around with me onto client sites, saving a lot of download time and therefore my client's money. Are they available as stand-alone installers for download and installation ? Or do we have to use the WMC method ?

Cheers,
    Paul.

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Re: Manual download of 3CX service packs ?

Not all of our Updates are available as standalone installers.
    Currently you can download 3CX SP4 Standalone installer from our website and simply update to SP5 within a matter of minutes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. broadbandcti

This does bring up an interesting point.

I know the whole concept of 3cx is that it's *meant* to be connected to the internet and utilize sip trunks and such, but I recently did an install where I needed to place a 3cx onto a secured network where all internet access has to occur through a proxy at a central location. Having to expose the 3cx to the internet to activate the softare license and then download patches......was a bit of a sensitive topic.

probably not the last time I'll run into that. customers with business offices spread around in different cities often employ this strategy to protect the interior network and telling their network dudes you need socket level internet access beyond what's neexded for voice traffic for the pbx installations is going to make for some interesting conversations.

Not complaining, just putting it out there. I admitededly still have much to learn, especially when it comes to creating good designs for muti-site insallations. But to sell it into larger enterprise accounts where you're selling against call manager, things like this become decision points.

4. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I still can't see why standalone updates should be a deciding point on whether to install 3CX somewhere.
    The post you made has nothing to do with what we are talking about here from what i understand... It's best you make a separate thread for it :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. erike4

pmacleod tahk you for the post. I have been (was) recomending 3CX for a bank where the execuitive phone system is seperate from the Office phone system and sep from the branch phone system seperate fromthe customer phone system and most importantly seperate from the internet. Seperate means physically, traffic. power, air conditioning and wire trays. I can imangine this could alsobe applied to secure facilities also. 3cx would have been flexiable and price enought to implement all the security and customer requirements. Without network connectivity using 3cx would have been a serious bust. Thank you for the insite. Do you know of a product that can do the job without internet connectivity?

6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

That's indeed a good idea.

It would be best that you suggest it on our suggestion website here: http://3cx.ideascale.com/

7. pmacleod

Thanks for answering my question, but that leads to another (simple) one about the naming convention of the installers. Given the current download is v9-14507, the 4 signifies SP4 ?

erike4, it would seem that you can't proceed with 3CX without internet connectivity at some point in the process (activation or updates)...perhaps a mobile broadband solution as a temporary step during activation would serve your needs ? Give the 3CX server a second IP off the mobile solution just to get the activation through and then remove it.

broadbandcti, that also might serve your needs, but I'd imagine that conversation with the network dudes would be even more "interesting" than the one about socket level internet access :lol:

Disclaimer : do the above VERY much at your own risk.

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

No SP4 means Sp4. That 4 is part of the build number. it just happened to be the 14507'th fix. this gave rise to a need to make an update and I said "What comes after SP3? Oh yes 4 :) So I said - SP4 it will be ... "

No 3CX updates are not available as standalone installations. this is not just a simple file replacement that we update when we make an update. Also we do not have time to stay making installers for every service pack that we make.

So in these secure environments that you mention where there is no internet, connect for the update, then disconnect again.

I suppose that you update your windows servers and clients in these secure networks right? How do you do this?

9. erike4

Background: When I started my life path I learned the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules. This a bit translated is good customer service. Customers say and they should receive or you can leave.
    So in the case of no internet connecitivity they mean NO INTERNET CONNECTIVITY. period, end of discussion. To that end you ask how do they service the very few machines inside. They are clean-room installed after cleanroon low-level disk reformatting and chip source verification (they rest I cannot say). Let sit, virus scanned by just about all the products avaliable, warehoused and then put into suspension to see if it does anything funny to other machines and then put (reluctlantly) into production. and at no time connected to the internet. The networks that are implemented are in seperate piped cable trays (that are now fibre to prevent taps) and all tray are visually checked and swept on a random schedule. The secure locations have even more procedures.....
    To help you out there are some good installer generator products that pop up on giveawayoftheday that can help you out if you dont have time. There are also products (even from the old days) that allow the generation of registrations code for a speciific CPU or CPU/op system that you can use to support the offline customer.
    I have (had) a big market for taking old PABXs out and replacing them with computer based PABX's supporting their analogue systems. A new PABX entry is R40,000 with little feature and flexibility. Voice recording is a very dificult add on at R150,000+ and I believe outbound only. I was very interested in taking advantage of this opertunity. But as you company problems and directive these offline and secure systems need not be considered so.........i need to get busy and do some other engineering.

10. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

in fact there is 1 other solution you can do.

Download the service pack as it is - 32 or 64 bit. You will need to ask someone from 3CX before.
    Put it on a machine on the same network that has a webserver set up on it.
    Go tot he 3CX server, program files/ bin/ open 3cxphonesystem.ini

under general section add UpdateServer key something like this example

[General]
    UpdateServer=http://10.172.0.133/downloads

where 10.172.0.133 is the machine on your network which has a webserver on it.

Then close the winforms, open it again and you will see that 3CX PS will not get any more updates from 3CX.com but from this machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.