Masquerade as Asterisk

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jedney, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedney

Hi,

I'm currently using Asterisk as a home VoIP server and it's working well, but I would like to move to a Windows server rather than Linux. The problem I have is that my VoIP provider only allows pre-configured Linksys devices and Asterisk to connect to their VoIP service. I don't know whether they have an enforcement policy on this, but as this is my home phone line I don't really want to find out the hard way.

My question is; can 3CX be configured to masquerade as Asterisk (in order words, can it be configured in such a way that my provider doesn't know I'm not using Asterisk)? If so, how?

Thanks for your help,
    Jon.

2. zensoftware

zensoftware New Member

You need to know how they are providing your service.

If they are using SIP, then you should be able to configure 3CX to connect, if they are using an IAX trunk (which seems more likely) then you will not be able to use 3CX.

Hope this helps.

Emmet.

3. jedney

They provide a SIP service so there shouldn't be any channel issues. I think I read somewhere that 3CX, Asterisk, etc send an Agent/Client string to the remote server to say what server type you are running (a bit like Firefox/IE sends its client type to the remote webserver).

As using anything other than Asterisk is a violation of my service providers T&C's I need to ensure that 3CX is sending an Asterisk agent string so in their logs 3CX doesn't show up.

Can I change the agent string in 3CX, what do I change it to, are there any other SIP commands or formats of login strings, etc that I should change in order to make 3CX look more like Asterisk to the remove server?

I know SIP is a standard, but the standard is interpreted and applied differently between different software providers - this is the main reason my service provider don't want anything other than Asterisk.

Thanks,
    Jon.

4. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Jon,

We are providing unique value in user-agent header especially to help other party to identify software. Unfortunately, it helps your VoIP provider to reject requests from your 3CX PBX (as well as form 3CX VoIP Phone/Client, isn't it?)

It looks like you need to ask support team of your VoIP provider to investigate reasons why 3CX PBX is not supported.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.