max length voicemail number invalid

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ZenMasta, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

Over the past few weeks when I am checking voicemail. I have noticed at times there are messages which last 1:59 but when I try to playback I can't hear anything.

I believe almost every time I have tried to return these calls the system has said invalid number or internal server error (on my phones LCD). when I try to call the same number from my cell phone I get a generic beep/call cannot be completed as dialed. I've dialed the numbers from within the system as well through my cell phone just to double check

At first, I just brushed these off as random incidents but it is becoming very frequent now.

This weekend I had 8 messages and every single one of them were 1:59 duration with no audio and when I called back they were generic bad number messages.4 out of 6 numbers were bad (tyipcal error) 1 rings busy every time I have called (several times over the past hour), the other I got to voicemail but when it reads back the number, it is different than I dialed (maybe call forwarded).

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm on v10 and support wont support v10 anymore.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Lets see if I understand this... you are getting "silent" voicemails from numbers that you attempt to call back, but the number is invalid or not in service. Do I have this correct?

Has anyone complained that they tried calling and left a message, that you didn't receive?

Could this be telemarketers? They usually Display (spoof) phone numbers that are not valid when called.

What type of trunks are these calls coming in on. If it is through a PSTN gateway, that has not been set-up to properly disconnect when the calling party drops first, then that might explain the 2 minute silence.

3. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

It's a sip trunk through nexvortex, i never thought about telemarketers but this just recently started becoming very noticeable and I can tell they are calling in on our toll free number. Typically I would think telemarketers avoid toll free because they know its a business and wouldn't get anywhere due to IVR.

And no haven't had any complaints but many customers just call back when they can't reach us too. I've been hoping I could reach one of those numbers and ask the question but only 2 have ever worked.... one from a def person (makes sense) and another I had to leave a message but the call was forwarded as I mentioned before.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unless you can get a caller that tells you they tried and failed previously, to reach you, and you can match the time to one of the "mystery calls", then you may just have to assume that they are "wrong numbers".

It may be that another business has recently started up with a toll-free number very similar to yours. However, that would still not explain why you are not able to call any of the displayed numbers back.

Have you asked your provider for assistance in tracing the origin of these callers? If there was a patten to be seen, that might lead to an explanation of some sort.

Coming in on VoIP trunks, and staying up for almost 2 minutes would imply that there is no "release" coming from the VoIP provider (for the full 2 minutes), so it would appear that the originator is not hanging up, or the provider is not seeing that.

5. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Do you have more than one phone number (BTN and 1+ DIDs)? Typically if you are having a network-type of issue like "one-way audio", it would be on the trunk as a whole versus one number.

Indeed, at times we have silent VMs from our nexVortex trunk.. depends on how they detect/receive termination between the caller and nexVortex, since the BYE usually comes from the far end (the caller hangs up). Our Broadvox trunk.. doesn't happen nearly as often. A client's PSTN via Patton 4114.. happens more often since we adjusted silence detection to longer lengths.

Last.. if there is an odd issue like one-way audio, check your inbound rules to see where calls would go if somebody "does nothing". If they end up at voicemail inevitably, indeed it may be a caller who already hung up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.