Message Waiting Indicator for Cisco phones implemented?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jonathanc, Oct 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonathanc

Hi all

I know the dictionary definitions of 'free' and 'paid', and that MWI capability is enabled in paid editions of 3CX and not free editions. But what about a free-but-normally-paid edition?

Having accepted last month's kind offer of a '4SC perpetual Standard license of our latest version absolutely free', should I be able to activate MWI on my Cisco SPA phones?

Apologies if the answer is as simple as it looks!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It had been "the norm", in the last few "free" versions of 3CX, for MWI to not be included.

According to this..

https://www.3cx.com/phone-system/edition-comparison/

...it is included in the "free", 8 SC call version, but, you are limited to 1 trunk group and a few other features are missing. The list also shows it included in the "Standard" licence, so I'm not certain what is happening in your installation, and whether the "free" version is a "Standard" licence. Some clarification, of available, and missing features, is probably needed.

Looking at the form page

https://www.3cx.com/phone-system/free-phone-system-download/

it says " 3CX’s open-standard business phone system" and does not mention the "standard" version as such.

#2 leejor, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  3. jonathanc

Many thanks, leejor, for your customary prompt helpfulness.

We certainly seem to have G729 and all the other features mentioned under 'Standard' in the comparison chart, and we use 23 extensions - though I haven't yet tried >1,024 simultaneous calls, or even >4.

But I'm ashamed to say I don't even know how to set MWI in 3CX 15. Can you point me in the right direction, please?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Not certain if it is much different than in 14, which i still use. As I recall, all MWI options are in and around the voicemail settings for each extension. I don't recall having to enable anything specific for "regular" MWI on the set, other than enabling voicemail, but the options were pretty clear. There are options for sending the VM, and notifications by email, which you might want to try , as a test, of whether it is working at all. I've used several versions of Cisco sets, the 79xx requiring auto-configuration, and a number of others with a GUI, which i have always configured manually. In the case of the manual configured sets, there are options (as i recall... it's been a while) that must be set to allow the MWI to work.

5. jonathanc

Thanks again, leejor - I'll give it a go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.