Message Waiting Indicator with Cisco 303 and 525

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jonathanc, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonathanc

I have some Cisco 303s and a Cisco 525G run by 3CX Phone System v10.

If I set an extension's "Message waiting" option to "Yes" in its web interface, the Message Waiting Indicator on the top of the phone lights up and stays lit - even when there are no messages for that extension or any ring groups of which it is a member. If I leave a message and then listen to it and delete it, the MWI still resolutely shines.

Is this a 3CX problem or a Cisco problem?

BTW, I'm sticking to 3CX v10 because I want to evaluate ring group behaviour before investing.

Many thanks for any help.

2. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

Hi Jonathan
    Leave the MWI setting on the Extension page at 'No' i.e. their default.
    You will get MWI with that parameter set to 'No' - and - if you browse the management GUI on a Cisco phone that has voice-mail waiting, you will see this setting is showing 'Yes'. So in effect, that parameter is telling you if you have voice-mail or not - it is NOT a setting to enable or disable the MWI feature [stupid I know - but this got me too when I first started setting up SPA phones ...].

3CX version 11 supports ring groups every bit as good as version 10 - IF - your 3CX is licensed. If you are running demo free-edition 3CX then an upgrade to version 11 will kill your ring-groups.

Best regards ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jonathanc

Ah, I see. The 'Yes' is a statement, not a command. It certainly fooled me!

You say You will get MWI with that parameter set to 'No' but the bar on top of the phone doesn't light up when a message arrives - should it?

Many thanks for your help.

4. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

Assuming you have the licensed 3CX - then yes! ... MWI is not supported if you are running 3CX demo free versions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jonathanc

Got it! Assuming the free version works well for us we'll go for it and enjoy the prettty light show.

Many thanks again.

6. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

If you are running free edition with no licensing, then you'll have to use voice-mail to e-mail, as you'll not get any form of MWI - i.e. the light won't glow red at the top of the phone, the envelope icon won't show on the LCD and the extension dial-tone won't be broken.

If you are evaluating 3CX prior to buying, you can get all these features activated with the v.11 demo license (supports 2 simultaneous calls). See the link and license at the bottom of this page:

http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/3cx-phone-system-v11-service-pack-2/

Best regards

7. jonathanc

Sounds a good idea – thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.