Message Waiting Light issues

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Jessep, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessep

Message Waiting Light is coming on on some phones when there is no Voicemail or Message on the phone. A phone reboot and reprovision does not help, we also rebooted the 3CX server. Yealink T46G phone settings seem to be the same as phones where this is not happening.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If this is always happening on some (specific) phones, try moving them (swapping) to another extension number (desk), see if the issue stays with that set, or the extension. If it stays with the set, then start looking at what the sets, where this is happening, have in common...firmware, some feature setting? Perhaps delete the provisioning and re-create.

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

this happened to me when we first got on 3cx. A wireshark showed that the phone was reeving the message off light before the message on light for voicemails that were being sent to email. not sure why 3cx was turning the light on first, then off... and suddenly it cleared up one day.
    they told me it was network traffic.

I know my situation is not the same, but thought I would share.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jessep

Thanks for the responses. I do not think it is individual phones as we have one extension with two phones assigned to it (a wifi cordless and a desk phone) and both handsets had the problem occur. That said I do need to reprovision a totally new phone to one of the extensions just to rule it out for sure.

The network traffic affecting it is interesting, we did start to have this problem around New Years Eve when there would have been a relatively heavy network load occuring.

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Do you have any downtime where you can flush the switches and router/firewall by rebooting everything?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Jessep

I think we can find some time during a slow stretch. We are 24/7 so it is a bit of a challenge. We are installing new edge switches in the near future in any case as we are using older (10 + years) HP switches currently.

7. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

We have seeing this same issue and i think it was being caused at night when we had server backups are running causing a higher network load.
    What kind of phones are you using?
    If yealink phones are the trouble devices in the configuration template on 3CX look for the value
    account.1.subscribe_mwi_expires =
    3CX by default changes this value to 86400 (24 hrs)
    Change the value to something like 3600 (1hr) which is the default for Yealink phones.

What this does is every 1 hr the phone will send a SUBSCRIBE request the 3CX and 3CX will respond with a NOTIFY packet with how many voicemails there are for the extension. If non it will send 0 and the light will go out.

In our case we would have random users come into the office in the morning and it would show they have voice mails when they didn't. So by setting it to check every hour when the issue happens in the evening/night come morning the phone has checked its status (every 1 hr) and the light is back off.

I could be completely off but this was a workable solution for our case and they sound very similar.

8. Jessep

Interesting, thanks for the information Tsukraw. We are using Yealink T46G's for the most part. I have changed that subscribe value on a few phones and will see what happens. I anticipate making the change on the rest of the phones as well.

9. 3CXusername

3CXusername New Member

I also had a few reports of this recently. I wonder why 3CX changed the Yealink default from 1hr to 24hr (outside of little overhead).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.