• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Microsoft ending silverlight development

Status
Not open for further replies.

netswork

Bronze Partner
Intermediate Cert.
Reaction score
Saw this on slashdot...will be interesting to see what happens to myphone.

"Silverlight 5 might be last version released by Microsoft. Several industry insiders and partners for the last few weeks have heard from their own Microsoft sources that there won't be new versions released after Silverlight 5. Status on service packs and support for Silverlight is unclear, as Microsoft haven't yet released lifecycle support end date even for the previous Silverlight 4. By their support page they will give full year head-up before ending support. With Adobe ending development of Flash for mobile browsers and Microsoft ending development of Silverlight, HTML5 video looks a lot more promising. But will content providers be able to give out their material without DRM and how does HTML5 perform with non-video side of Flash and Silverlight?"

Yep, MyPhone change should have been researched. HTML5 is nice. Maybe they can code MyPhone in that or go back to a true .exe/msi app.

kylejoe1 said:
Yep, MyPhone change should have been researched. HTML5 is nice. Maybe they can code MyPhone in that or go back to a true .exe/msi app.

Don't worry, 'they' are tracking the trends ;)
Thanks for your message :)

It's interesting that the new Wallboard feature is based on HTML5...

peteb said:
Interesting is that managemt site is still NOT working properly on Google Chrome (on IE works ok),
and at the same time Wallboard is designed for Chrome and won't work on IE ;)

secnet said:
peteb said:
Interesting is that managemt site is still NOT working properly on Google Chrome (on IE works ok),
and at the same time Wallboard is designed for Chrome and won't work on IE ;)

To be honest, it is not interesting and very annoying :(
Browsers are fighting for the leadership in the different areas. As result, they don't provide solid support for all required technologies...

@SY: Yes, i know :( Fortunately i have always working rdp + management console in .exe flavour :)

secnet said:
@SY: Yes, i know :( Fortunately i have always working rdp + management console in .exe flavour :)
Let's hope that 2012 will be the year of harmony :)
All applications will work transparently and without any "environmental" limitations...

SY said:
secnet said:
Let's hope that 2012 will be the year of harmony :)
All applications will work transparently and without any "environmental" limitations...
hmmmm isn't too early for christmas wishes? it's still november ;)))

My firm is just about to buy a 3CX hosted IP system. We are all Mac, and now I'm concerned that the final version of Silverlight may only be compatible with IE for Windows. Should I take the plunge or not?

secnet said:
hmmmm isn't too early for christmas wishes? it's still november ;)))
Unfortunately, 3CX is not Santa Claus who can(instantly) adjust specifications of HTML5 and, at the same time, can force Google Chrome to support well-known technologies which are similar to HTML5 ;))))

I must admit i have continuiously got frustrated with the move to silverlight as it's a pain to integrate in startup as a silverlight application in a domain controlled environment... well, from my experience anyway.

There is nothing like a person pointing out to a company that has made a major technology investment that their chosen technology is folding.... I am sure that 3CX knows and is already working on the contingency plan. By the way 3CX, do you know that we are running out of IP V4 and you must..... well.... use IP V6 soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mendy E
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.