Migrate from Server 2012 to Windows 8

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by TSlocum, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSlocum

TSlocum New Member

We have a VM with Windows Server 2012 on it and we need a backup machine in case it fails for some reason. If I build a Windows 8 machine and have it ready to reinstall 3CX from a backup, would I run into any problems? The only thing I can think of is I use DHCP Option 66 to provision the phones, and Windows 8 doesn't have a DHCP server. That wouldn't matter if the phones are already provisioned, correct?

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

By the sounds of it - your Phone Server is the DHCP Server? If that goes down you are going to have more issues than just the phones not working.
    The DHCP/DNS should be located on another machine or a Router/Firewall appliance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TSlocum

TSlocum New Member

We have a regular DHCP server elsewhere, and one on the phone server specifically for Option 66. The phones are on a different VLAN and subnet from the regular network.

Can you have DHCP for two different VLANs and subnets on one machine?

For example, regular network is 10.10.x.x and the phone subnet is 10.11.226.x on VLAN 226.

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I think you can do 2 DHCP scopes for different VLAN's on same server. The VLAN gets an IP DHCP Helper Address pointing to the DHCP server. The computers get DHCP from the main scope because it is the default VLAN.
    Atleast this is what I understand.

I have never had to do any of this. My installations are small enough that we combine everything into one network.

There are some small DHCP Server services that should work on Windows 8 as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

You are moving more into a networking situation than an IP PBX one.. specifically DHCP Scope Option 66.
    Craig is hitting the right points, though. You can "IP Helper" or "DHCP Relay Agent" your requests from other (V)LAN segments to one DHCP host.. or you could take a longer route of finding/installing/configuring a DHCP host which will run on Windows 8.. but why..

If you already employ DHCP on another segment, have it serve for this other VLAN and get your scope option in there as needed.
    I'd use DHCP Explorer to verify the host properly gives a lessee the scope option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.