• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Migrate to another Phone provider [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessandro Ranieri

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm facing a problem with an American (NYC) phone company. They have some numbers that i want to migrate to an Italian ISP, but they told me that is it not possible. That sound strange to me because numbers was migrated from an Italian ISP. Is there a New york state law regarding this matter? In Italy when a customer want to migrate from an isp to another, ask for a migration code and that's all. Is there something similar in NY? Thanks in advance

A.

Hold on...you are trying to port US phone numbers, from a New York based provider to an Italian provider? If that's the case, then I don't believe it would be possible. Porting is only within operators in the same country. Please clarify, if this is incorrect.

Hold on...you are trying to port US phone numbers, from a New York based provider to an Italian provider? If that's the case, then I don't believe it would be possible. Porting is only within operators in the same country. Please clarify, if this is incorrect.
Hi Ieejor,
thanks for your reply, and yes I'm trying to port us number to Italy, but these numbers are originally Italian numbers (Telecom Italia), in fact they have a tipycal Italian form factor: +39.02.123456. Now, if it was possible to migrate from Italy to US, why I can't do the opposite?
Thanks in advance

A.

Hi..
We are (through our SIP Provider) porting lots of numbers, cross countries. Our Provider is using Woxbone to handle these numbers.. Have a look at www.wonbone.com and it might help you to figure out how to get your numbers "home".

Hi..
We are (through our SIP Provider) porting lots of numbers, cross countries. Our Provider is using Woxbone to handle these numbers.. Have a look at www.wonbone.com and it might help you to figure out how to get your numbers "home".
Both woxbone e wonbone are unrechable! :(

Generally, the way porting works, is that you arrange service with a new provider. they then issue the "out order" for the numbers in question, and have them moved to them. Porting requires that routing records are updated so the call routes to a provider other than the one the number was originally issued to.
Did the US provider have some sort of agreement with an Italian provider that allowed them to offer you those numbers? Nowadays, with VoIP, it really doesn't matter where you are physically located, as long as a company is willing to sell you the service if you are located outside their "coverage" or licensed, area.

Generally, the way porting works, is that you arrange service with a new provider. they then issue the "out order" for the numbers in question, and have them moved to them. Porting requires that routing records are updated so the call routes to a provider other than the one the number was originally issued to.
Did the US provider have some sort of agreement with an Italian provider that allowed them to offer you those numbers? Nowadays, with VoIP, it really doesn't matter where you are physically located, as long as a company is willing to sell you the service if you are located outside their "coverage" or licensed, area.
I understand, my problem is the US provider said that they can'y release the numbers, so they will not allow me to choose another service provider. I think this is unlawful, I want to be free to port my numbers wherever I want, and I'm looking for a way to push the USA provider to give me a "migration or auth code" or something similar.

As I say, the authorization to do this is normally handled by the provider you are moving to. If you are currently paying for the numbers, then the provider you wish to port them to, should be able to deal with this.

Hi Guys,
sorry for the late and thanks to everyone for all the answers and support. I finally discover that an Italian provider is acting as a bridge between Italy and the USA provider. So I got the migration code from the Italian side and solve the problem. Thanks again

Have a nice day

A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.