Migrating From Windows To Linux

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Wendelspanswick, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendelspanswick

All our current 3CX installations are on Windows machines, I'm guessing if we migrate to Linux there is no easy way transfer the configs of the various 3CX setups?

2. Sopock

Sopock Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wendelspanswick likes this.
  3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You can backup a windows installation and restore to a linux installation. Just make sure that you do not include license and FQDN in your backup if the local IP of the PBX is going to change. And have in mind that the linux release is in release candidate state and not a final release.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/linux-pbx-release-candidate/

Wendelspanswick likes this.
  4. D3w4yne

Sorry to necro this thread but I didn't see any other similar threads.

I attempted this today in a test environment and my extensions were no longer assigned to a phone after the restore. In fact the phones didn't show up at all and had to be reprovisioned.

Is this expected behavior? If I were to do this for a large office it would be pretty cumbersome...

Thanks,

Dewayne

5. D3w4yne

This has been giving me a hard time... it seems that I've actually lost progress.

I have 15.5.5 running on Server 2012 R2 in my lab. I do a full back up (check off every box) and download the .zip to my pc. I turn off the 2012 R2 box and set up 3cx using the Debian iso. I give the Linux box the same IP as my old 3cx server and upload the backup I made during the initial web configuration. After finishing the initial web configuration I do see a step "restoring backup" while the PBX is being created but it seems that the only thing that gets restored is my license and some contact info... I'm prompted to choose my extension length as soon as I bring up the management console as if it were a blank slate.

6. AndreasPo_3CX

AndreasPo_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi @D3w4yne ,

since you are migrating from one platform to the other, it is best to create a backup with the option "Include License Key Information & FQDN" unticked, then on a fresh debian installation, when prompted to select installation type select "Restore an existing backup configuration". Following this process you will be asked for the license key at a later step and this should do the trick.

7. D3w4yne

Thanks Andreas, I will give that a try today.

8. D3w4yne

Looks like unticking that box did the trick. Thanks Andreas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.