• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Minimal configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlegDenisishin

Reaction score
Hello.

What is the minimal hardware configuration to run 3CX Phone System server? I'd like to buy one of these servers:

1) Intel Atom Dual Core 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, Windows 2003/2008 Server Web.
2) Intel Core i3 3.1GHz, 4GB RAM, Windows 2003/2008 Server Web.

A server will be connected to 10 or 100 Mbit dedicated port in a data-center.

Users will use 3CX Softphone. How much simultaneous connection can they serve (average)? I need to serve about 20-30 simultaneous connections for the first time. Will these servers will cope with this task? Is 10Mbit enough to server 20-30 simultaneous connections?

Here is an interesting read for you.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/atom-processor-n270-benchmarking/

I'm using HP Proliant N40L Microserver (before that N36L) based on AMD Tuiton 1.5 GHz with 4GB RAM running MS Win 2008R2 Foundation. It is enough powerful for 32 SC with call recording, etc. (no more than 40-50% CPU load). I'm avoiding changing codecs as possible.

Regards

Thank you for your answers.

And what about the bandwidth? Is 10Mbit enough for 20-30 sim. connections?

Is this a 10 M total bonded connection? or is it 10 up 10 down?

What is your uplink? success depends on that.

Internal or external?

Here is a link to bandwidth depending on the Codec(s) you choose to use.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094ae2.shtml

Any outside calls will depend on both upstream and downstream speeds from your internet provider, in many cases they are not the same.

OlegDenisishin said:
Thank you for your answers.

And what about the bandwidth? Is 10Mbit enough for 20-30 sim. connections?

number-of-calls=min(uploadspeed, downloadspeed)/80kbps
but in case if it will be used for the VoIP calls only.

If you have ADSL link, it usually has upstream much "thin" then downstream.

10Mbits in both directions may serve... 100 calls in case if the link provides declared bandwidth.

10 MBit for both uplink and downlink.

OlegDenisishin said:
10 MBit for both uplink and downlink.
So, 30 calls (in the most pessimistic case) will use 24% of the uplink and downlink simultaneously

One more question: is it possible to record calls on the server if TLS+SRTP is on on both talking clients?

OlegDenisishin said:
One more question: is it possible to record calls on the server if TLS+SRTP is on on both talking clients?
Server can record any call.

I'd go with the 2nd option for the server as I like dual core processores. As far as bandwidth you have more than enough with a symmetrical 10mbps data connection. Even with 100% call capacity you wouldn't notice a huge drain in bandwidth bit capacity in most cases indstry wide is only 20% of course that veries with each industry and individual office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.