Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Minimum Hardware Requirements - feedback requested

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Antares, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antares

I'm looking for feedback from people currently using 3CX..

I am a little skeptical of the low system requirements required to run this system. Specifically whether or not it should be dedicated hardware. We are an office with approximately 10 voice lines and 15 users.

Also.. Has anyone had experience with running this directly on a Windows Small Business Server, or on a virtual server? Prior to spending money on any hardware for this system we just wanted to collect some feed back regarding system performance and what type of hardware/virtualization people are realistically running systems on.

Thanks for any information.

2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

It is actually fairly difficult to really say exactly what hardware is needed for a particular installation. You can get by with absolute minimum specs if you users aren't using myPhone or the 3CX Assistant. If you are deploying the assistant out to everyone I would bump the specs up, especially going up to 2gb of RAM as a minimum. For CPU, an Atom 1.6ghz machine should work well for the size of install you are wanting to do or a beefier box using virtualization.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Antares

Thanks for the quick feedback. Have you ever had anyone run this off virtualization? Thanks!

4. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I personally have not, but I have heard from a number of people that do it all the time. I have a new server arriving this week for me to do virtualized testing with.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. discovery1

discovery1 Member

I run our office system in Hyper-V using Server 2003R2SP2 as the guest.
    No problems and no stutter, but make sure you search for the forum post on using only one CPU.
    You shouldn't need more than one anyway.

6. jelliott52

Antares,
    If you have experience with VMware or Hyper-V then they will comfortably run 3CX with no problems. But if you don't, I would recommend that you run a small dedicated box. I'm running my home 3CX on a VIA C7 w/512 ram, 7 extensions, voip and 1 pots line and it just putts along. Each of us has out own personal preferences, based on a number of different factors and back grounds. They minimum requirements for 3CX are very accurate.

Jay

7. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Jay,
    With that small of a system are you running 3CX Assistant on multiple machines as well?

8. jelliott52

Kerry,
    Yea the assistant is on 3 computers at the house. but it's not heavily used by any stretch of the imagination. Oh I did stripped the heck out of the XP install using nlite. I had the box laying around at the house decided to use it for something.

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.