Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Mobile client cellular handoff

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tsteffens, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsteffens

The question involves all cellular apps so I figured I would ask in the main forum.

It seems like all the big players out there(shoretel,avaya,cisco,mitel) have what is called mobile handoff in their mobile apps. The way it seems to work is that you can start a call on wifi and then walk out the door and when wifi is gone it switches to the cellular(voice) network.

I have witnessed how this works with shoretel in that when you are driving down the road it will use data but if the data signal becomes weak it switches over to the cellular voice network and the call continues.

Is this something that could be added?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are a lot of variables involved, and the expense of developing something like this may not be justified by the demand, or lack thereof.

How many current apps will switch seamlessly (and that is "data" seamlessly which is a lot more tolerant that SIP seamlessly) to mobile data if your move out of wifi range? Will they even initially use wifi if mobile data is turned on and available?

You could always suggest it, as a feature in 3cx-ideas-f57.html and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.