• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Mobile SIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

telis

Bronze Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hi,

We have been evaluating the 3CX system and mobile VoIP in general for months and months now, almost a year, and we are still not getting there.

Has anyone used HP iPAQ 514 Voice Messenger with 3CX as a SIP client? Or any other Windows Mobile 6 device? We know about Fring but aren't interested in that. Also we really like a device in the Windows Mobile 6 Standard (Smartphone) format not the Windows Mobile 6 Professional (PDA/PocketPC) format, but maybe beggars can't be choosers.

We have tried the obviously non-Windows Noika N95 and got that sort working and also got the HTC S610 sort of working. We are not particularly interested in SIP over 3G/HSDPA (it will be a cold day in hell when that works) it's SIP over Wi-Fi that we are after, mainly for people roaming within their own offices to have their mobile ring when their desk phone does, but also for teleworkers. We aren't motivated by saving call charges, but that is a bonus, especially for overseas calls.

The N95 just about worked with 3CX, the quality was a bit poor but we didn't persevere since the battery life was so inadequate whilst using Wi-Fi. We are never going to sell these anyway since we want to use Windows Mobile (we need Exchange Integration and also .Net apps).

The HTC S620 worked with 3CX after using a horrible hack, quality not great. Microsoft has a Windows Mobile 6 SIP client (a very good one) but HTC don't put it in their ROMs (presumably to keep the operators happy). You can get the files for the SIP client from other ROMs and then after much fuss with XML files and registry settings make and receive SIP calls. It's great in that it's the same dialling interface as Windows Mobile, if you have a Wi-Fi connection it just sends the call over that instead. The trouble is battery life makes it unusable, and even more seriously for some reason any VoIP call will go over the internal speaker and not the earpiece speaker.

The HP iPAQ 514 Voice Messenger sort of slipped under our radar as a contender, has anyone got one or shall I just shell another £170 of the firms' money and find out whether it will work. The product web page and the reviews do seem to talk about how good the battery life is with Wi-Fi...

Regards,

Christopher Edwards,
Telis.

hi,

i have a hp voice messenger 514. and have used it to connect to the 3cx pbx server.

Whilst it does connect,on voip calls the volume is very low.This is a known issue.Also the Wifi connection is not consistent.You can configure a connection and its very random where you will connect using the cachedcredentials or be prompted to reenter WPA Keys.

This seems to be a known issue as well.

Hope this helps

Mbs

Re: Mobile SIP @mbs

That's a real shame, it doesn't sound like something workable for end users.

Have you tried to fix these issues or was it something of only passing interest to you?

I found this thread which alludes to the problems you mention - http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service...47627+1200920607425+28353475&threadId=1146633

Actually there are quite a few complainers dotted around various forums.

Oh dear!

Has anyone any positive experiences with using any Windows Mobile 6 phones built-in SIP client with 3CX or VoIP generally?

Has anyone tried the iPaq 600 or 900 series with 3CX or VoiP in general (are they even available yet, I can't find them on the HP website?)?

It would just be another piece of the puzzle for us...

Use SJPhone fprm http://www.sjlabs.com Its work with 3CX.

I m not need to use it everyday. Who use it if I can place regular call? :shock: But I checked it and it work fine.

HI,

There is a firmware update for the 514 and a battery power save update as well which makes the 514 more stable. i have been using my one for some time now with 3cx and it's ok.

thanks

mbs

Hi,

If i understand your post right, your issue with VOIP is mainly its support on mobile phones right? Its nothing to do with 3CX?

Windows mobile v6 has a SIP client on it. We are working on supporting this and also considering a windows mobiles SIP client for our software.

I have not yet done a complete eval. Its not really a one click install unfortunately, as in its seems to be very rough. We would want to make it easier to install and use at the very least....

Yes. This can be not only mobile clients, but also Web site clients (click to call) and any user in the word with Skype installed.

There is a pocket PC client from NCH as part of their Express Talk softphone line.

http://www.nch.com.au/talk/index.html#download

I tried it at the end of last year on my previous WM6 device (HTC Artemis). It worked OK but I didn't have a real need for it so haven't tried it on devices recently.

Just a thought...

Have you tried Fring? http://www.fring.com/

I tried Fring on an imate 8502. It seemed to work. I could succesfully connect to an extension, I could also dial an external number and it worked. Unfortunately, the 8502 has a porblem with any VOIP (Skype, etc) and all you hear is noise. But it did connect (you can just make out the voice). Someone with another phone should try it. Fring is pretty cool

I have me Nokia E51 set up to work with 3CX and it works fine (obviously it also is non-windows). It only worked after setting the Realm to be 3CXPhoneSystem. Not sure what this is exactly as non of my other SIP client stuff has a value called Realm, just ip address, user and password, but the Nokia would not work without it.

You know what upsets me now, my team done this (must be a over a year ago) with the HP65xx or HP63xx. But cannot find the "case study" on it, but it can be done.

We played around having a laptop with 3CX and AP in the middle of the paddock and used it to call each other to discuss strategy during a Paint Ball game (I know we are sick :)).

H.

Hi Henk,

Wow, someone has done it!

Was the call quality OK? Was the battery life OK?

I wish the HTC phones did it, but the sound comes out of the external speaker. I am really, really interested in this.

Regards

ChrisE,
Telis.

regfixit said:
I have me Nokia E51 set up to work with 3CX and it works fine (obviously it also is non-windows). It only worked after setting the Realm to be 3CXPhoneSystem. Not sure what this is exactly as non of my other SIP client stuff has a value called Realm, just ip address, user and password, but the Nokia would not work without it.

Hello,
I tried Nokia E61 it works fine with 3cx and Gizmo
it calls grandstream devices through 3cx systes nice but it calle only from linksys devices
I think it s codec issue

telis said:
Hi Henk,

Wow, someone has done it!

Was the call quality OK? Was the battery life OK?

I wish the HTC phones did it, but the sound comes out of the external speaker. I am really, really interested in this.

Regards

ChrisE,
Telis.

This is an HTC/Microsoft Problem. HTC, PALM (HTC makes their devices) does not release the API information necessary to allow third party software programs to interface with the handset speaker vs the device speaker. The Microsoft VoIP client is a software program so it does not know how to interface via the devices API (Each hardware company wirtes their own API).

The solution to this is to use a bluetooth headset. Audio will then routed to the bluetooth headset. Since the Microsoft voip client uses the device's dialer you can answer the voip call with a bluetooth headset as well.

The big downside to all of this is that Windows Mobile Phones are not optimized for having the WiFi radio on all of the time. The Wifi radios in dedicated SIP wifi phones have been tuned to use the absolute lowest amount of energy. They also don't need to keep a hungry processor running all of the time either. So a true converged device would require the hardware manufacturer to optimize the battery use of the wifi radio and CPU.

Current PDA phone devices are best used for ad-hoc calling from a hotel room, airport, etc. when traveling. It allows you to carry your data with you, log on to hotspots and then make calls. Current PDA devices are not designed to have the WiFi radio on all day.

Did you see this?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=299950

I got a Sony Ericsson P990i with Fring to register with 3CX. Incoming calls work fine but outgoing do not. It seems Fring does not authenticate on every outbound call, which is required by 3CX.

Sip User ID: extension number
Password: Extension password
Sip Service: Other
SIP Account: extension@PUBLIC IP

Note this only works using the public IP and port 5060 forwarded to the PBX.

Is are any testimonials about working with native VM 6 VOIP client? On my HP 514 it works not so good although it register on 3CX and send and receive calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dozer302
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.