Modify default template

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by vvoice, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vvoice

I know I'm not supposed to even think about doing this, and support won't discuss it with me, but has anyone ever modified the default template (Yealink) so that phones will all provision with a particular feature enabled without having to go through the cumbersome process of provisioning, assigning template, and re provisioning every single phone with a custom template?

I'm trying to find out:
    1. Can the default template be backed up before I modify it (where are the files in the Debian file system)?
    2. What happens when a template update is released? It overwrites my customization, and I have to re-apply it. But how much time do I have to do that before the updated default template starts rolling out to the phones and makes a mess?

2. pact

pact New Member

You certainly can create a custom template.

Simply pick your template you want to modify and click 'Copy'.

The default template will always stay there, and you'll have a copy (as of that time) as your editable one.

The unfortunate part is the Copy will not update as Template Updates are released, so you will need to re-copy the default template and make your changes.

Then you will have to delete the phone attached to an extension and re-add it with the updated copy you have.

So it's an easy way to push out customization, but has its limits when update time comes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

There is also an article with some useful details on how to create a custom template you might find useful. As you already know custom templates are not supported by 3CX and a lot of customisation can be achieved through the management console. If you face any issues you will be asked to revert to the default template so the duration of the troubleshooting.
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/custom-ip-phone-templates/

4. vvoice

Thanks for the replies, friends, but what I'm proposing here is more radical than the documented unsupported method of creating a custom template that you reference above. I'm interested in the possibility of modifying the original source template, if I can find it in the debain file system, so that initial phone configs include my customizations without the need to go through the time consuming provisioning process necessary to assign a phone a custom template. Has anyone found a way to do this?

5. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I would not recommend editing the default templates as there will be no easy way to revert back if something goes wrong. Also custom templates are not overridden with updates but if you edit the default template that will get overwritten when a new version of the template comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.