Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

MOH plays at volume 11 in 3CX V11

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by efounco, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efounco

efounco New Member

OK, so I've begun messing around with the new MOH features of 3CX V11. Our server doesn't have a sound card, so I setup a playlist instead. I convert all of our MOH files from .mp3 to 8K 16bit mono .wav and dump them into a folder on the server. Then, I point the playlist to the folder, select random playback and click add. Finally, I select the playlist from the parking settings. Low and behold, music is playing in random order. Unfortunately, its extremely loud!

OK, no biggie I think to myself. I spend a couple hours using Audicity to normalize and reduce the volume by 50%. I delete the playlist inside of 3CX, upload the new files and try it again. Same results!

Next, reduced a couple of files by 85% and upload them as a test. These are barely audible on my PC from WMP with the volume cranked up, but they sounds like loud static music when I load them into 3CX V11.

What am I doing wrong here? Nothing seems to normalize or reduce playback volume in 3CX v11.

I've tried reducing the volume in Audacity, Wavepad, and Sound Recorder; nothing has worked thus far...

2. mixig

mixig Active Member

Same things here (solved):

http://www.3cx.com/forums/onhold-sound-29363.html

3. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Issue is not confirmed.
    1. Volume of the audio stream provided by PBX is equal to the volume of the audio stored in the file.
    2. Quality of the audio depends on codec used for RTP streaming and does not depend on volume

You can use wireshark to verify quality and volume of the audio stream provided by PBX.

Regards
    P.S. It works the same as in previous versions (v9 and v10)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. efounco

efounco New Member

My issues are resolved. I used a combination of 2 programs to reduce the db by 20 and down sample the .wav files to 8K 16bit Mono (properly). Audacity doesn't seem to down sample properly and was causing static in playback. It seems to work OK now...

5. active5

I'm wondering what programs you used?
    Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. efounco

efounco New Member

Well, I used a combination of WavePad and Audacity at first, but I found out how to do it with just Audacity.

You can download audacity for free from here:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Here's how to convert a typical .mp3:

1. Open the .mp3 file with Audacity
    2. Click on Track\Stereo Tracks to Mono
    3. Click on Track\Resample and select 8000
    4. Look for the drop down arrow over the name (top left) and click it; select Set Sample Rate\16 bit
    6. Click on Effects\Amplify; use -20db for the New Peak Amplitude (db)
    8. Click on File\Export and save the file as a .wav

This worked well for all of our music/audio files. It's loud enough to hear but not too loud...

7. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Everyone who read this topic should understand what is the dB.
    Brief description is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

8. taurusgd

Thanks for posting this as it helped me set up MOH. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.