More Grandstream Handytone 488

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cjammer, Jan 3, 2007.

1. cjammer

cjammer New Member

I continue my efforts with this HT-488, But I just cant get it to work right with this PBX. I have used a Fluke Net tool-Pro VOIP Analyser and found I get a 407 authentication error.

I have checked the Config in the 3cx PBX and checked the config in the HT-488 all seems correct. But it wont register.

Last night I did some experimenting. This unit has a LAN/WAN/FXO/FXS ports on it. all the ports are configurable to some point. The LAN port has a DHCP server in it. I config'ed it to the same subnet as me network and tried it and the WAN port, still no....The catch seems to be when I put in the Server IP info my Dialtone goes away.

All comments and opinions are acceptable at this point... Good, Bad, and even the Stupid...lol.

I am at a loss to what is up.

Cjammer

2. ngsolutions

I have 488 too. try use "SIP Server" not name but IP 3cx server

3. cjammer

cjammer New Member

That is where I started with IP's. Not DNS names. Currently I have the WAN port plugged into my LAN. With the LAN port plugged in I cannot make IP Calls. So I am in belief that having the WAN port plugged to my LAN is correct.

Does the FXO and the FXS port both need to be configed to the Server?

Cjammer

4. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

HT 488

Hi,

Could you post us the exact error you are receiving? Ideally the server status log as well.

Furthermore, a screen shot of the web based configuration of the device would be great.

5. cjammer

cjammer New Member

Here is the Link to the Manual. It has screen short of the web interface and a description of each setting.

http://www.grandstream.com/y-downloads.htm Just scroll down to the Handytone 488.

I have some PDF's of mine I can email to someone. for the most part they are the default settings. If they can be posted here let me know how.

I also got a Grandstream BT102 phone and it works like a charm.

Cjammer

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Server status log

Can you also post the server status log? First clear it, then try to register the phone. This will then show us the registration messages and give us a clue why registration is failing. We do have some form of Grandstream handytone her for testing (have to check number) but this one works.

7. xc99tour

Grandstream 488

I have a HT-488 working fine with 3CX as for taking calls from the PSTN to 3CX. A little tricky to configure, but I can help you with that.

Now for VoIp (3CX) to PSTN, I can't figure out how to make it work, and I am not sure you can. I have done a lot of research and have come up empty.

Larry

8. cjammer

cjammer New Member

I have not been able to get it to work either way. As I was getting ready to copy the server log over here I noticed something funny in them. All the phones had registered to the IP Address of my laptop. Now the rest of the story. I am Running the 3cx server on a VMware Virtual Machine running 2003, on my laptop. So now I have started wondering all kinds of other things. NAT traversal, STUN servers, Firewalls on the VM, Etc, Etc.

Back to a original statement am I using a STUN server, No, But Can I set up one of my own?

I will still get a copy of the log to post. I am gonna approach this from a new line of thinking first. Anyone have any luck using VM with this?

Cjammer

9. cjammer

cjammer New Member

Its been a while since I last posted so here is a update.

I backed up and did a double take on the whole thing.

Here is a few things I have learned.

Hardware.....

not all 10/100 hubs are truly 10/100 they my identify the device and give a link. But they don't communicate with other devices well

HT-488, It is to versital, I have been able to make a extension out of it or make it a VOIP-PSTN gateway (outbound only).

I basically started over. I got my Cisco switch and used it over a hub, installed the beta 4, rebooted everything. and Wah-lah! everything worked!

Has anyone using the HT-488 been able to get it to work as a PSTN-VoIP gateway yet? If I can get this one thing to work, I will be absoultely thrilled!

Cjammer

10. xc99tour

HT-488

I have my 488 working as an extension (FXS) and I can initiate calls from the PSTN to VoIP (FXO) but not VoIP to PSTN. I think that is all you can do with this device.

Larry

11. cjammer

cjammer New Member

That is Funny, If I understand correctly We have the exact opposite problem I can make calls to the outside and you can make calls to the inside.

Cjammer

12. xc99tour

Maybe we should trade set up information!

13. cjammer

cjammer New Member

I agree! I think we should too. Do you IM?

Something else I was thinking about is, I wonder if we can get the nice 3CX people to make a section for different hardware platforms. Then we don't have to search the entire forum for a single piece of info. We can share setup and network info in that section dedicated to that one brand.

Cjammer

14. xc99tour

That makes a lot of sense. (3CX setting up hardware specific info).

Yes, I IM but I am traveling the next few days. We could try for Friday.

15. cjammer

cjammer New Member

Sorry I have not posted in a while. Work has had me really jumping. As soon as things calm down I will get back to this. In the mean time.

I got a email from Grandstream. In a nut shell they said that the FXO and the FXS ports need to be configured with different extension numbers to get inbound and out bound calls to work. If you get a chance to try it please post and let me know what the results are. It looks like about 3 more weeks of working late for me.

CJammer

16. johndough

Anything new or "better" on getting the GS488 FXS/FXO to work completely independent?

Seems that I am missing something (or a bunch), but the FXO is tied to the FXS internally - even if setting extensions to different numbers (FXS=2222 extension / FXO=10002 PSTN trunk).

I can get the FXS to work just like any other extension off the PBX (using the # key to kick off the dialing process)

Inbound on the FXO Can not find source by following specs To: valid extension=2222 if i hard code the Forward to VOIP number in GS setup.
    Outbound gives me a second dialtone after dialing, and then i can dial out again to the same number and make the call.(not like a trunk, but like an extension)

Am I asking too much for this lil unit? I just wanted an FXO and FXS and didn't want them to be integrated or even aware they existed outside the PBX...

cjammer and xc99tour, did ya'll get together and work out getting both directions working?

Seems the 3102 linksys is maybe a bit more up to par for this simple task?