More than 20 phones / Windows 7 Licensing

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cv7713, Mar 12, 2012.

1. cv7713

Hello,
    This is my first post. We are about to pull the trigger on 3cx but had 1 concern. Our plan was to install on a Windows 7 Professional PC. Per the EULA, Windows 7 is limited to 20 devices. Has anyone had success with hooking more than 20 phones to a Windows 7 machine or will we need to use a server level OS? I know we've had issues in the past with our Symantec manager and concurrent connections. We had to use Server 2003. Any help is much appreciated!

Our plan:
    26 IP Phones (Polycom, Cisco, or SNOM)
    Windows 7 Pro Machine
    100% SIP

-Chris

2. mylove4life

mylove4life New Member

Personally I would go to a server version. But I think it would work ok.

3. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

These are IP devices that run Linux or some other firmware and so these have nothing to do with Microsoft. They are not even connecting to the Windows OS. You can use Windows 7 if you want...

4. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

Either would work fine but at the end of the day if I were you I'd go with whatever I was most comfortable with. With that being said to date we've only used XP, or Windows 7.

5. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

The connection limit applies to File and Printer sharing

6. cv7713

I am posting the the response I received for those who are interested or have a similar question.

The connection limitation applies to IIS (Windows Web Server). Since 3cx running on Windows 7 uses Abyss, the connection limitation is irrelevant. If you plan to use IIS on Windows 7, you will be limited to connecting 20 phones.

7. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Windows licensing has nothing to do with 3CX and the number of phones you are using -- you may connect a thousand phones if you like. The same applies to IIS, etc.

Regards