Move a phone to a different extension

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by craigreilly, Oct 7, 2015.

1. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Move an Extension

The Ability to Move/Renumber an extension... this would take all settings as well as Voicemail and Greetings with it.
    Right now, the Extension Field is locked once created.

We often need to do this when someone moves to a new department and the first digit of the extension corresponds to a specific department.
    ie: 2xx Marketing & Sales, 3xx Operations, 4xx IT, 5xx Accounting/Finance, 6xx Executives
    Right now, it is a very manual process to do this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. craigreilly

Re: Change Extension (& System Extensions) Number

http://www.3cx.com/forums/move-an-extension-42013.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Zergfest

Re: Move an Extension

To be clear, when you say "move", this is the same as "re-numbering" an extension?

IE, all sales people are in the 100-115 block, and Sally (ext 123) moves to Sales, we should be able to re-number the extension 123 to 113 to fit with the corporate standard?

4. Frank D

Frank D New Member

Re: Move an Extension

I think renumbering an extension would be a great feature.

Another nice thing would be "move phone" to a different extension.
    This would mean an easier process for admins. Right now, what I do is:
    Write down the admin-Password and MAC/IP so I don't lose access to the phone.
    Than I delete the phone from an existing extension (a "delete button would be nice")
    Than I will add the phone to another extension (and change the admin password to be the same as one for the other extension).
    Sometimes I mess up things and have to reset the phone and go to the place and reenter some VLAN settings, that are required for it to work properly.

I think I might 1 new feature request, that is more clear about the feature request.

We a currently on V12, so sorry for any outdated infos. We will update in the coming months.

best regards Frank

5. Frank D

Frank D New Member

Sometimes I have to "move phone" to a different extension.
    Right now, what I do is:
    Write down the admin-Password and MAC/IP so I don't lose access to the phone.
    Than I delete the phone from an existing extension (a delete button would be nice, instead of deleting the Mac etc)
    Than I will add the phone to another extension (and change the admin password to be the same as the one for the other extension). Sometimes I mess up things and have to reset the phone and go to the offcie, where the phone is and reenter some VLAN settings, that are required for it to work properly.
    Of course there are diffent ways to do this, like resetting the phone, but all need multiple steps. It would be great to have a feature to move a phone to a new extension (delete the old assignment and create a new one all in-one). Admins will rejoice.

Keep up the great work

Frank

P.S.
    This fearure request is related to his one topic42013.html by craigreilly
    I think it is best to split his feature request, into two distinct request, which I am doing now.
    A related feature request about changing the number of an extension is here: topic42013.html

Comment by Moderator
    This has been merged into another topic in the 'Ideas' section.

6. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I believe the current topic is not exactly the same as the one you mentioned (which has now been merged into http://www.3cx.com/forums/move-a-phone-o-a-different-extension-43272.html), it is slightly different I would suggest leaving this as a separate topic in the 'Ideas' section.

7. craigreilly

They are all very related in my opinion.