• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Move License to new server in V15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baguk

Reaction score
Dear All,

I just tried to move license from old (pilot) server to new one (production). The server has new IP and MAC. The backup on old server and restore on the new one went smoothly, however by attempt to activate the license on new server, an error message was shown, that MAC limit is reached.

In V14 there was a way to deactivate License on one server and activate on other. Unfortunately I can not find the same option on V15 anymore. Would you please advice how to proceed?

This is a problem for me too.

I have two server moves stalled because I can't move 3CX.

MAC limit reached means you guys have "abused" this license key. It does not happen because you installed on 2 servers.
The procedure is to contact the reseller that sold you the key and the keys need to be "freed" up again.

When I buy a software and I want to "Try" something I do not mess with my production paid key.
I get a demo, trial or whatever it is, and install that key.
Now we have no excuse because in v15 there is a form and you can get those keys freely.

The 3CX web site says to deactivate the licence to move the software:

http://www.3cx.com/docs/moving-to-new-machine/

In v15, you can't deactivate the licence. If you click Edit at the License Settings screen, you can only change the company name, contact details and reseller.

If I contact my reseller before I move the server to "free up" the licence, will the machine I am moving from stop working? I don't want all my phones to go down because I have scheduled a server move for that night or weekend.

Or is this fixed in SP2? If it is, I'll just wait a couple of weeks.

In v14 it was different. In v15 you need to contact support and they will check and if this is a lawful request, they will free it up.

Ill send you an email now to speak to you. Hold on.

Hello Everybody,

First of all - local sales representatives has solved the issue on phone, to thanks to him for support on this!

However, important remark: how you can simply "abuse" your key, as you mentioned. If you host 3CX on a virtual machine, like we are, there great chances to get new MAC address time to time. For us it happens every time when we change size of VM, adding CPU or Memory. I don't think this is wrong behavior or usage our sides, and that you are not allowed to shutdown your VM with deallocatating resources.

nickybrg said:
When I buy a software and I want to "Try" something I do not mess with my production paid key.
I get a demo, trial or whatever it is, and install that key.
Now we have no excuse because in v15 there is a form and you can get those keys freely.

When you install V15, there is clearly stated, that exisitng customers MUST use their existing keys and not request new or trial one. So I don't think that your statement was fully correct. Even more - in my case this was only one (!) server, where I used the 3CX, and the server got few different MAC addresses during lifecycle, which is in my opinnion absolutely normal behavior for world of virtualization.

If you are using VMWare, edit the virtual server, go to network settings, copy the MAC address and save it.

If you reinstall or add devices, set the MAC address to manual and paste it in. We do this for other software and it works fine.

Same situation now.... We're moving our on premise V15 to our cloud hosts, so overwriting the MAC is not an option. We are the reseller, and have no knowledge of how to "check the license".... In fact our own purchased license (not NFR) doesn't even show in our reseller portal...

Thoughts?

If it does not show in your reseller portal then you must have gotten an email once the license was purchased with credentials to be able to manage your key

And if you can't find it you can go to the 3cx customer portal and go through the simple "lost my credentials" process. With your existing licence key you can have a password reset sent to the end user who purchased it (which would be you again, since you're the reseller and end user)

... but really that should only really be needed to release your fqdn. Generally server / ip changes are fine unless you've changed MAC addresses a lot. In which case just cross your fingers that you haven't reached the limit yet and if you do contact your distributor so that they get it released quickly. ... or even open a support ticket if it's urgent and on the weekend.

Is there any way to check the remaining number of activations? I'd like to upgrade from V14 to V15 on Debian, but don't want to be stuck with a server that I can't use. If I copy the same MAC address over to the new VM will it avoid this issue? Or if I do try to activate the V15 install will it affect the currently activated V14 license?

I'm presuming the instructions here: https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/pbx-backup-restore-failover/#h.2a3yvcw23lo4/ are for an older version as my V14 install has no deactivate option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaayb512
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.