Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Move to a new server

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Flash99, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flash99

I know this question was asked many time and I already saw all the answers and all the documentation about it. But I just want to be sure.

So what would be the correct way to move to a new server considering.

1. Going to use a new license (bigger one).
    2. Moving from a cloud to on premises network.
    3. Public IP will change.
    4. Using 3CX provided FQDN and probably want to keep it the same. Although its not a big deal since we are not going to open the system for use from outside of the local LAN
    5. Both old and new server run Windows

2. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

None of that really matters. It's simply a matter of backup and restore. You don't need to change the key to go to a bigger license, you can upgrade the existing key. So the only thing that determines the process is if you will keep the same key or actually get a new key. Keeping the same key is easier because then it is just a straight backup and restore. Getting a new key and keeping the 3CX FQDN is a backup without key/FQDN, releasing the FQDN and then restoring with new key and same FQDN.

https://www.3cx.com/docs/key-already-bound/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. apostolis_3CX

apostolis_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Flash99,
    The answer cobaltit gave you is what generally applies. If you provide us with the version of the PBX you are currently running then a more detailed answer from our side would be possible.

4. Flash99

We are using 15.5
    And we are going to use a new license file (not upgrading the existing one)

5. apostolis_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Since you are going to change the License Key you should take a backup EXCLUDING License Key and FQDN, proceed with the installation of the PBX and once the Configuration Wizzard starts select to restore an existing backup configuration using the backup file. If you want to use the same FQDN, before the installation you will have to release FQDN.
    Be advised that all of the IP phones that are currently provisioned remotely, will have to be reset to factory settings, released and reprovisioned.
    Also as the SP2 stable version is going to be released in a few days, i would recommend you to wait for it and proceed with the installation of the latest version.

Flash99 likes this.
  6. Flash99

Thank you very much for your help

And yes we are waiting for SP2 :)

7. apostolis_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

I'm glad that you find my answer helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.