Move to the front when ringing

Discussion in 'Android' started by bseddon, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bseddon

When using 3CX client for Android (15.1.41) the app does not move to the front when a call is received. Instead I have to go hunt the application. It does not wake the screen so instead I must swipe the screen and then find the app.

What I'd like is for it to behave like a regular (GSM) phone call and give me the option to answer it without needing any other interaction. This is how other Android VoIP phones like Zoiper work. Am I missing an option I should have checked?

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @bseddon

the way the app should behave when a call is received and push is enabled is that the client should come to the front and give you the option to answer the call from the lock screen. If this is not the behaviour you are experiencing then we will need to know the following:
    When you receive a call and the screen is off does the phone ring?
    What PBX version are you using?
    Is push enabled under extension settings?
    Have you tried re-sending a welcome email to your device and re-provision? Does that solve the issue?
    What device (brand- model) are you using and what android version is it running?

3. bseddon

I am using the latest and greatest 3CX server (automatically updated). No, push notifications are not enabled and I have no intention of going through the process of enabling them and providing Google with yet more information. It is not necessary for a phone to require push notifications for it to present itself when it has an active SIP registration with a server. Zoiper does just fine without push notifications. If it is in the case of the 3CX client, then 3CX is not the solution for me.

The phone rings (I hear the ringing) when the 3CX client is not the app in the foreground but it does not come to the fore so I cannot answer it without manually locating the app using the task screen.

Yes, I have re-sent the welcome message and re-added the config but, no, it does not solve the issue. I will be installing the app on another phone to see if it exhibits the same behaviour.

I am using a Moto-E with Android 5. Again, Zoiper does just fine.

The potential advantage of using the 3CX client is being able to take advantage of the tunnel. But not at the expense of setting up push notifications and maintaining the setup over time the and the exposure of using the Google push API.

4. Lev

Lev New Member

I think i remember them removing the option to have the client "always active in background" when they introduced push.

Imo push is superior anyway, since it will reduce power consumption quite a lot.
    Not due to the cpu/ram usage, but to the fact that your WiFi or other wireless transmitters will always be turned on, waiting for packets.
    But of course, why not give us the option back? Even if it might be a bad idea for most users, it would give us just a bit more freedom.
    When activated, the client could pop a warning about the higher power consumption and everything should be fine

5. bseddon

It may be superior in some sense. But its another connection to go wrong and is just not appropriate to mandate to create a functional softphone app. My phone is on wireless all day and the battery lasts 5 days on a single charge. I don't want to introduce another potential point of failure and I *really* don't want Google involved so I can have my battery's charge last 6 days. Ah, well, I'll stick with Zoiper.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Wow, what smartphone model gives 5 days service on a single charge, with wireless data enabled??? I want one of those.

Most people are lucky to get one day.

7. bseddon

Like I wrote above, a Moto-E. It's old, it runs Android 5 and the battery lasts 5 days even after all this time.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I actually have a couple of Moto E's (Verizon, second generation) that I picked up for $9.99 each at a Black Friday sale a couple of years ago. I have never used them with the provider, only Wifi and VoIP Apps. I find that even on airplane mode, most of the time, they go down to about 30% after a week.

Google Push is the way to go. I found that with previous versions of the 3CX Android App (before Push was available) , if i was registered at a Wifi hotspot, I could sometimes open the app, after some time, and find that I was no longer registered. It tended to vary from one site to another.

I don't use it for incoming that much any more unless I'm overseas (out of my mobile coverage area), as i simply use ring my mobile at the same time and the call comes in on my mobile number.

#8 leejor, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  9. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi all, in the upcoming release of SP2 of the 3CX PBX, you can expect that the application always shows up in the foreground even when locked. This was similarly fixed for another case where if you received an incoming call you had to go to your phones top dropdown to find the app and answer the call.

Please stay tuned for SP2.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.