• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Move v15 to a new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd23

Customer
Reaction score
Hello,
We have a purchased 3cx license. We purchased a new physical server. I would like to install 3cx from 'scratch' on the new server, meaning I don't want to restore from a backup. The reason is that we plan on changing the setup quite a bit. We will also be moving to new phones, so those need to be configured, etc.

I would like to setup the new server with the new phones all internally to insure everything works, then cut over the 3cx license and the SIP trunk to the new server.

What is the right way to do this? Do I get a new domain FQDN for 3cx with a trial license? It seems as if the FQDN is tied to the license, so how can I move over the license after that?

Set up your new server with a trial licence and FQDN.
Once you're ready to change over, backup your new server 3cx install but WITHOUT the FQDN and Licence key.
Each licence (including trial ones) comes with a login to the 3cx portal. If you don't have the credentials you can reset it here and it will send the reset link to the email that was used when activating the licence.
https://customer.3cx.com/passwordresetter/resetpassword.aspx
upload_2017-4-12_18-13-50.png

Then login to the 3cx portal for that licence and release the FQDN.

upload_2017-4-12_18-24-50.png
Then re-install 3cx with your backup (that you took without the licence and FQDN information) and put in your new licence and that FQDN you just released from the trial licence.

Voila.

Thanks for the detail Jason.
I do have a few questions to make sure it's all clear.

"Then login to the 3cx portal for that licence and release the FQDN"
For this, am I doing this on the new server that is bound to the trial license and the temp FQDN? Or, am I doing this on the production server that I'm about to retire? I'm assuming I need to unassign the license and FQDN from the production server so I can use it on the new server.

"Then re-install 3cx with your backup (that you took without the licence and FQDN information) and put in your new licence and that FQDN you just released from the trial licence."
Here, when I do the restore, I should put in the FQDN that I just released from the old production server, correct? And I enter the production license that was on the old server.

Thanks!

Howdy, always happy to help.
1) If you're setting up new phones everywhere and staging the whole thing, I don't see why you'd need a temp FQDN on the trial licence. That FQDN should become your permanent 3cx FQDN. You're probably right, If the system you're about to retire is already using a 3CX FQDN you'll most likely want to release that too before moving the licence to the new server with new FQDN. So basically, release both licences from their current FQDN.

2) I would enter the FQDN from the trial setup, since you've already setup your new phones on the trial system with that FQDN (unless I've misunderstood what you're doing). It'll make the swap super quick. Welcome emails will need to be sent to reconfigure the people who use the 3cx app on their phones or 3cx phone on their computers.

..... does that make sense to you? Took me a few times to get my head around the logic of the procedure.

You've got it right in terms of what we're doing. It mostly makes sense... If I'm going to use the same FQDN from the trial, then why release it to start with? Is it because I need to release the trial license and the two of those are one checkbox when doing the backup?

What role does the FQDN serve? I get the overall concept, but is the license tied to it? Is something else tied to it?

The license is bound to the FQDN upon installation, and as i understand it you want to use your existing commercial license with the new FQDN you will create on the Free license.
So each license will be bound to an FQDN. When you want to swap licenses you will need to release both. The commercial license is bound to the previous FQDN and the free is bound to the new FQDN. So the commercial needs to be released so it can be bound to the new FQDN and the free needs to be released so the new FQDN becomes available to be bound to the commercial.
If you do not release the Free license and try to bind the new FQDN to the commercial license then you will get a FQDN already is use error.
Hope this makes sense (it does in my head :) )

Makes sense, thanks for all the responses.

Hello, we finally made the move the the new server. I did as suggested here and ran into quite a problem. I backed up my install without the license key or FQDN. I released the FQDN as suggested from the old and the new server. I uninstalled and reinstalled 3cx and when I go to use the same domain upon reinstalling I get the following error.

Domain zone United States (3cx.us) is exhausted and can not be used. Please choose another domain.

How do I reinstall using the same FQDN?

Thanks for the reply. However, now I'm confused...
In the link you provided it says the following:
"Please note that the correct procedure to upgrade a licence key is to upgrade the key already installed in the system without needing to un-install and re-install."

Yet this is posted which is what I followed:
https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/changing-license-key-on-version-15.46986/

That link says the following:
"you need to perform a backup without license and FQDN un-install and re-install using the new license. You also need to release the license from the FQDN in order to use the same FQDN. This is because the license is bound to the FQDN during the installation."

So, these conflict and it's very unclear as to what the proper procedure is to change licenses on v15. Does anyone have any insight as to the correct procedure?

Our pbx was down so I created a new FQDN and re-provisioned all of our phones, but there has to be a better way. I can't believe that this is really required, nor the need to uninstall and reinstall and take everyone down during a license upgrade.

Hello @joshd23

Please note that if you want to upgrade your licence then the best way is to upgrade the existing licence installed on the PBX so there is no need to un-install or release anything. In case you have already bought a licence key and not upgraded the existing one then you need to follow the procedure with the backup. So the procedure depends on the way you choose to upgrade the licence on you PBX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.