Moving extensions from phone to phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Fynskisb16, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Fynskisb16

I'm just getting started with this VoIP system. It's sweet by the way. I'm currently managing a ShoreTel VoIP system. It has a feature that we can assign any user to a phone without rebooting or changing a config file.
    Examples:
    1. New user is added to system, he or she needs to be assigned to a phone. Can you assign the user to that phone without rebooting it or changing it by a web interface? I'm currently looking into using Cisco 7940/60 phones on some upcoming deployments.

2. Can the users reassign their extension to a different phone for a short period of time then send it back home to their primary phone?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Think virtual...... the days that everybody had their own phone are gone.

You attach a user to an extension. With some phones you can register and unregister the phone using the phone interface.

Having said that, you can register the extension and you will be on the service.

When you create a new extension you do not have to reboot the server. YOu can add and remove all extensions, lines and gateways on the fly without reboot.

If the phone allows for registering and de registering of the extension on the phone than yes. The IPPBX itself does not have this functionality to be used direct with IP phones.

3. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

When I was working for another company we took a look at the Cisco phone system. One of the cool features was being able to log in to the phone if you're at a different desk. Follow-Me feature or something like that.
    Just check with the phone to see if it can do it. I'm almost positive the Linksys SPA series can't do it. I'll check with my Linksys rep and see if they have any others than can.

4. Fynskisb16

How would I go about changing the extension on a Cisco phone, ie 7940? I haven't set on up yet but from the reading I've done you have to create a config file, change the extension there and then reboot the phone. Is there an easier way?